Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Seat Belts

Old 18-02-14, 07:32 PM

Default Seat Belts

Does anyone in the south east have a 401/3 with front seat belts that I could have a look at?

I'm particularly interested in the brackets needed for inertia belts with the unit mounted under the rear seat platform by the B post.

Thanks in advance, Peter.

Just had my wood work refurbished by Myrtle in Kent and they have done a really good job of matching missing bits of veneer and making them look the way Bristol's made them (rather than the highly polished finish used on later cars).
Old 18-02-14, 07:58 PM

Here you go ...

http://www.quickfitsbs.com/gallery_bristol.php
Old 18-02-14, 08:39 PM

Hi, I see a 401 photo of a seat belt fitted using the semaphore post. If this is to be used it is actually in two pieces. Without considerable strengthening, in a serious emergency breaking situation the post will undoubtedly fail.

I have had my seat belts for more than two years but have still not had them fitted. I have been offered alternatives by the Bristol Car repair people in Bristol 1) strengthening the pillar and fitting my belts as in other vehicles about £2,000 plus or 2) fitting them the reverse way using the transmission tunnel, which also need a bracket on the back of each front seat, for about half the price.

Sadly I've got to the age were I can't do this kind of work any more but every time I get into my 401 I instinctively reach for belts which are not there! One day they will be fitted.

If you find a solution I could do with your information - please!

Bob W
Old 18-02-14, 09:32 PM

One of the pleasures of driving an early Bristol is no seat belt for me ! I remember me and my three sisters all sat in the front , along with my dad driving, on the bench seat in dad's Ford Zephyr 6 ! :-)

I know the arguments but sometimes it's nice to have a day off from the PC health and safety world and not make a lovely car look naff !! Although it's a different story if my grandsons in the back...

I believe the company I posted is the one that BCL send cars to for belts fitting -- they don't do it themselves !! And they will also sell the kit / give advise.

I suppose that even if you make a crap job of fitting them, the new lack of MOT requirement makes it irrelevant ! NASTY ..
Old 18-02-14, 11:16 PM

Thanks Greg, but it is the flesh I am after. I need to get a fairly exact idea of where and what brackets are required to be able to fit them.

As Bob said the costs of fitting them can be considerable which is why I need to be able to see and measure what is required. Quite reasonably Quickfit was cagey about giving details for work that was going to be performed by others.
Old 18-02-14, 11:48 PM

Yep, see what you mean - maybe try contacting Securon direct for a generic answer
Old 19-02-14, 08:48 AM

Default Aerodyne seat belts

I think I was the first to fit seat belts to my 401 some years ago, and this was fully covered in an article in our magazine. However, I would be pleased to offer help and members would be welcome to see how it was done as I live in the S.E. in Kings Langley, Hertfordshire. By the way Securon of Amersham who make reels 40% smaller than other makes will not deal direct, you have to go through a dealer.
Alan Blackwood
Old 19-02-14, 11:48 AM

Default 2 litre seatbelts

I've always had full aircraft style harnesses from the 1950s fitted to my 2 L cars. They come over both shoulders from the floor and/or transmission tunnel and would appear to give more protection in a rollover than a shoulder harness.
Old 21-02-14, 10:16 PM

Thanks Alan,
I'll get in touch but am a few degrees under at the moment and wouldn't want to infect you.
Regards, Peter
Old 25-02-14, 04:24 PM

Default SEAT BELTS in 403

I have a 403 with Seat Belts fitted (F & R). I live in Tonbridge, Kent. If you would like to see the car it can be seen at all reasonable times.
Old 05-03-14, 02:39 PM

Thank you Alan,
I've just ordered a pair.
Regards, Peter