View Single Post
Old 04-03-10, 07:56 PM

Just a quick update on the Cylinder head i have on EBay ,it is actually in much better condition than i first thought, in fact when the bids started to rise, I put the head up on a bench here with good lighting and had a really good look at every part of it, It will give many more years of service with some Tig welding in just one chamber at the edge where it meets the face of the head. The head has never been skimmed before so that is one less concern,The valve seats also look good with absolutely no cracks anywhere.
I have been welding mig tig arc oxy accetelene ( since the 60 s) and have seen dramatic strides in equiptment and materials,
It is now possible to get very good long lasting results on nearly any type of alloy heads and blocks at reasonable cost.The"smoke and mirrors element "has disappeared from alloy welding.Ok my AC DC tig welder cost me 3000 Euros,Im sure that is very cheap compared to what the professionals use .As regards the price of the head,I just imported from the USA a pair of Brodix V8 Chevy heads with duty and shipping 1300 euros.Either of the 3 heads would have less than 5 euros of raw materials in them. Tom