Thread: LJK Setright
View Single Post
Old 19-09-09, 09:07 AM

I am very cynical of the link between road car and racer. Admittedly, modern ice-racers use 4WS, like those in the Andros Trophy. But I don't think F1 is a good barometer. A lot of good ideas have been scuppered because of F1's legislators, such as the Chaparral 2J ground effect car.

Would the public take 4WS more seriously if F1 cars used it? Likely, but for all the wrong reasons; because an F1 car is generally perceived as superior to anything else on four wheels - despite the fact that it is a 'car' in only the loosest sense - the public would simply accept it as a good idea without analysing the benefits.

I think Honda should have been braver and fitted 4WS to more of their cars, not just top-of-the-range Preludes. I imagine the accountants got in the way. Manufacturers don't need to ask customers if they would like a more reliable car, it is simply make it more reliable, because that is expected. And they should not have to ask customers whether they would like a more agile, superior handling car; it should simply go without saying.

Why was/is 4WS not commonplace in every road car? Extra cost is likely the bottom line. Honda have a lot of patents on 4WS, so other manufacturers would have to develop their own system or pay royalties to a Honda and use their 4WS. The public’s imagination was captured by four wheel drive because they could see the benefits with their eyes, whether it was Land Rover off-roading, or an Audi Quattro winning rallies; consequently, four wheel drive systems of varying quality were offered in all kinds of cars in the 1980s, to dubious advantage.

Despite the extra engineering costs, manufacturers pushed 4WD to the fore in road cars because they knew it was a selling point; why have a front wheel drive Cavalier, when sir can have a 4WD Cavalier from Vauxhall? That's two more wheels driven than the Jones' Ford Sierra next door! Never mind that the Cavalier's traction will only ever be tested by standing water, which the wider, sportier tyres of the 4WD model will be sorely tested by. And maybe Sir will notice that his clutch does not have the lifespan of Jones' two wheel drive Sierra.

Four wheel steering did not undergo this unpleasant phase, but then neither does it enjoy the notoriety that four wheel drive enjoys to this day.

Four wheel steering is easier to feel in action than see in action. On that basis, it’s a wonder anti-lock brakes ever got off the ground - which is ironic, given its avaition heritage - because once behind the wheel, the driver can only feel them in action, not see.

I think the Prelude w/4WS, is a massively under appreciated car. Try one for yourself and experience the benefits!

Last edited by Blenheim Boy; 19-09-09 at 09:41 AM.