View Single Post
Old 11-01-22, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Morrall View Post
0 to 60 ohms sounds about right, but I’m sure you’ll check it actually drives the gauge correctly before you put it back.
>
>
>
Good luck
Roger, thank you, as always, for your helpful response.

Indeed, this morning I did test the sender with the gauge via the car wiring. It worked! However, despite all my efforts, I cannot get the sender to go down to zero resistance and the sender at empty produces a gauge as per the attached photo. The lowest I can get it down to is ~3 Ohms and that resistance seems to be in the stud (the ungrounded connection) itself that the coil wire is attached to. I'll try cleaning it up but I am not hopeful. I'll probably live with things as they are since I will have a functioning gauge and there's always the reserve to rely on but I am considering buying a replacement. In any case, the sender will be out for a few days as I have ordered new gaskets for it.

Oddly, the sender is marked FT.5300/79 and not the FT.5301/17 listed in the manual.

With the sender out I got a good look inside that end of the tank. Shiny steel!!! I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Thanks for the links to the sender/gauge operation and Caerbont. I had found them. I agree, the array of senders is surprising. I wonder how many are electrically the same but just have different float arms to fit the tanks of different cars.

As an aside, two new developments - the fuel pump I ordered is delayed with no new delivery date so I may have to pick something else; and, somehow my playing around with the sender and pump electrics has triggered the brake fluid warning light which is now on whenever the ignition is. It's not because of low fluid because my aftermarket master cylinder doesn't have a level sender anyway but the light was not on before the recent work. Ah well, something else to look into in due course.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel sender1 (4) (Copy).jpg (63.3 KB, 9 views)