View Single Post
Old 04-05-20, 04:20 PM

Mmmmmm...

Bristols didn't overheat when they were new and shouldn't do if they are looked after. A radiator recore is relatively inexpensive and has taken the 410 up the Atlas Mountains and through a good deal of Europe and up the Stelvio without any issues on that score.

My maintenance schedule does however include a very regular cooling system flush out and refill.

I back Thors comment re the two shrouded little fans - which are indeed (or in my case were) remarkably effective. I think I'm right in saying that Bristols broke new ground for the whole Automotive industry on that score when they introduced electric fans on the 407 and, incidentally put Kenlowes on the map.

But beware, in my case I say "were" because I discovered quite a few years ago that the brushes on mine were worn down to the bone and in imminent danger of failure. I spoke to Kenlowes, who incidentally remembered that Bristols did them a great favour by going with them all those years ago, but they weren't able to help with replacements and anyway nowadays recommend the use of one large pusher fan as opposed to two small ones. So that is what the 410 now carries, but it made little if any difference as to how effectively the cooling system operated. But does, I hope, introduce an element of reliability in far flung parts.

Roger