Thread: Custom Soft Top
View Single Post
Old 21-04-09, 11:31 PM

Default chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Special View Post
I am thinking that my 406 may look the part as a convertible (am I mad?).
Clyde
Clyde,

I think it is a great idea. I would do several things:

1. Switch to LPG gas, removing the fuel tank entirely, replacing it with the cannisters in the boot, thus giving you plenty of room. If you need a small reserve for petrol, have a burst-proof racing tank built and installed where the spare tyre goes.

2. Carefully measure the size of existing convertible tops as produced on what now are old cars. I suspect you may find one that fits perfectly. You may find that you need to replace the front windscreen with the model from the donor car as well, but this could work to your advantage if the donor car you select is more common, thus having a mainstream windscreen. In fact, it may prove far easier to do a full chop top than try to match something to the Bristol screen, and using a more sloped screen may look far better.

I would also look at American cars, for example, the Corvair, Chevy-II, Rambler American, Chrysler LeBaron (& Doge equiv), Ford Mustang, etc. which is narrower than the typical Yank boat. Also, look at the BMW, Toyota : Celica GT, Saab. Go to ebay salvage parts, put in the keyword convertible and sort by price. If you buy, it probably is cheaper to ship the whole car, chop off what you need and sell the rest as UK salvage. Since you are looking for an usual part of the car, the parts will be wanted by someone else, if you pick the right car. Or try Ebay UK, for example look at Item number: 380117724464 a BMW M# convertible being broken. I suspect the call for convertible roofs with windscreens is less than the demand for engines, wings, etc.

3. Find a 12 year old computer wizard to morph the 406 bottom with various convertible tops as found on the internet. With computers you can now try out the looks a whole lot easier.

4. Just for a laugh, ask Toby Silverton. They seem to be far more flexible than in the old day.s

Claude