Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Wanted - anything Bristol car related

Bristol 400 Wanted

Old 04-11-11, 01:30 PM

Default Bristol 400 Wanted

Cash buyer seeking Bristol 400. I am only interested in cars that have undergone a complete restoration or at least a very significant rebuild, preferably professional, within the last 5/6 years and can now be described, honestly, as near concours.

Up graded engine to include fully rebuilt with perhaps slightly more torque, overdrive, fixed 1st gear / rebuilt gearbox, front disc brakes and any other sympathetic and 'sensible' modification would be particularly welcome.

An opening rear window is a further requirement.

Long ownership and a ten year plus service record would further enhance any offer.

marcus_126@yahoo.co.uk
Old 05-11-11, 05:40 PM
Banned

Default Seeking a 400 Bristol

This sounds to be a very ambitious undertaking, but there is likely someone out there that has a totally original car for sale. The enhancements you mention are not usually undertaken on a truly pristine example, but the possibility exists. I wish you all the best in finding a perfect example.
Old 06-11-11, 10:28 AM

Default Bristol 400 Wanted

Marcus ,
I applaud your enthusiasm for what you want but its not that simple .
Even money sometimes can not buy what you want .
A few facts to put things in perspective
There were only 421 standard bodied 400's produced
Approx half with the opening rear window , of those about 80 were sold in Australia and no doubt 40 - 50 of the 200 odd would have been wrecked.
Maybe 50 % of the rest are laying unrestored waiting for new owners or in a condition that does not suit you .
There are probably only 5 - 10 examples to your specification worldwide and most of those owners would not part with them .
I believe your best option is to lower your expectations and buy a good sound car and rebuild it to the way you want it .
Andrew Blow seems to have the odd 400 for sale and recently sold a nice blue one that could have suited you .
Good Luck in your search
Geoff
Old 06-11-11, 04:21 PM
Banned

Default Finding the 400

I must wholehearted agree with Goeff. This is a very old car, and the production numbers were quite low. Couple that with very low demand in a niche market and you can see how difficult this search is going to be. His advice on finding the best one you can and doing what you think needs to be done is probably the best path. We all have our favorites,and if it is a 400 you want, then you are likely faced with quite a few compromises. Again, best of luck in finding the car of your dreams. I have found that you can get what you want, but it sometimes may take a decade to get it when it comes to old cars.
Old 08-11-11, 03:29 AM
Ex Member

I agree that such a car may not exist. I was amused at the opening line..."cah buyer" . With the prices of very good Bristols being what they are, I would like to see the wheelbarrow in which the cash will be placed.
In the antique/vintage world all transactions are paid in full, and cash takes, very much, a back seat to Bank transfers.
Dorien
Old 08-11-11, 01:33 PM

They do exist and here is one of them

NOW SOLD 1949 Bristol 400 in excellent condition. For Sale on Car And Classic UK

Just sold recently on Andrew Blow's site for a few wheelbarrows of cash
Old 08-11-11, 05:31 PM
Banned

Default The near-perfect old 400 that sold by Andrew Blow

At 75,000 pounds (sorry, I do not have that symbol on my keyboard), one might think they have found the car of their dreams. Perhaps. When it comes to old cars, the sky is the limit for serious collectors. Most of us would keep our funds in investments rather than pick up another car with it.
The chap that started the thread with 'cash' buyer would not attract anyone in this league, unless the funds were ill-gotten, but that is merely an opinion from an American who sees this sort of thing all the time. Personally, there is not a car that was ever made that would prompt me to consider a transaction like this. Having owned some two hundred cars in my time, I can state that not a single one can satisfy all a persons 'needs'. It was fun to collect and drive a large variety of cars. When the fun wears off, they are passed on, and usually with a slight loss.
Old 08-11-11, 08:08 PM

Maybe a car becomes a true classic when people are prepared to pay what it cost to restore it. It seems that Bristols are finally getting to that level for some models. ?
Old 08-11-11, 08:21 PM
Banned

Default Old Bristols and values

It certainly looks like it in this instance. I recently looked up restoration costs on one of my E-type Jaguars, and it seems they want a $30,000 car to start with, and $120K to $150K to make a 100 point show winner. All for a car that sold for $5,000 new. The serious buyer will look for the restored car at a bargain price. As so often happens, the owners cannot stop themselves and the costs just soar. I saw a beautiful example go over the auction block for $69,000 that had to have cost over $100,000 to bring it to that point. It was an E-type. I'll wager it was a better car than the new one I bought in 1962. A pretty package with lots of flaws.
Old 09-11-11, 12:38 AM

The exchange rate of 200 turds is less than one diamond.

I guess that buy the best you can afford is still the best guide for classics.
Old 09-11-11, 03:56 PM
Banned

Default Buying old cars for fun, not profit

I am not sure about your estimate on trades for diamonds, but do agree that the best move is to buy the best you can find and afford. If I would have taken my own advice in more instances than I can recall or count, I would have what I want now and still had money in the bank for other indulgences.

The car hobby is a sure-fire way to pursue your passions, and the products are large and need storage space. Another hidden cost that does not go away. My building is bulging at the seams and I am still looking. Perhaps I should change hobbies and take up hunting?
Old 14-11-11, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald G. Stephenson View Post
The chap that started the thread with 'cash' buyer would not attract anyone in this league, unless the funds were ill-gotten, but that is merely an opinion from an American who sees this sort of thing all the time. Personally, there is not a car that was ever made that would prompt me to consider a transaction like this.
'Cash buyer' in the UK usually means someone who will pay the full price at once, as opposed to someone buying with finance to be arranged. It doesn't mean someone turning up with a suitcase full of used £50 notes. More commonly the term 'cash buyer' is used for people who are cash buyers of property, but that just means that they have the funds available for immediate transfer and won't need to arrange a mortgage.

Money laundering regulations here mean that UK banks are obliged to report any unusual deposits of large amounts of currency.
Old 14-11-11, 04:21 PM
Banned

Default Cash buyers for Bristols

Another perfect example of our separation in similar languages and usage. Cash buyer over here is a 'red flag' so to speak, and we are hesitant to deal with people like that. It comes with experience. The same could be said for the outrageous offers that come over the internet from Nigeria and such places. The tip-off is the, 'What is your best price' statement. We do not use that terminology. Our usual response is, "Is that the best you can do", and that seems to work every time. A 'cash buyer' in our instance would be someone who would hire an agent to search for a car, not some blatant advertisement with that language.
Old 14-11-11, 04:49 PM

Default Cash buyer for Bristol 400

As I was the originator of the OP in that I was / am looking of a 400 I honestly feel that the replies being posted now have diverged so far from the OP and in my view are becoming somewhat irritating - ' blatant advertisement ' and 'wheel barrows of cash' - semantics all - that I would like to withdraw the OP and dignify the reply posted by 'Sam410' - thank you Sir - which says it all and really needs no further comment in my view.
Old 14-11-11, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Another perfect example of our separation in similar languages and usage. Cash buyer over here is a 'red flag' so to speak, and we are hesitant to deal with people like that. It comes with experience. The same could be said for the outrageous offers that come over the internet from Nigeria and such places. The tip-off is the, 'What is your best price' statement. We do not use that terminology. Our usual response is, "Is that the best you can do", and that seems to work every time. A 'cash buyer' in our instance would be someone who would hire an agent to search for a car, not some blatant advertisement with that language.
What you say, Mr. Stephenson, may well be true of your neighborhood in the USA, but in mine, "cash buyer" is NOT a red flag, and does not automatically scare off a seller from a transaction.

So far as "What is your best price?" question is concerned, that is commonplace around here as well, and does not immediately negate a deal.

Ours is huge country, with many different local peculiarities, both in manners and in speech, that I think it's probably better to not generalize on such topics.
Old 14-11-11, 05:21 PM
Banned

Default Purchasing a Bristol

Marcus: You need to contact an agent, and let the experts find what you are looking for. They will know what is out there and can actually advise you on costs and all the rest. Posting a 'wanted' ad will invite all sorts of hustlers and predators. May I extend my apologies for my remarks, but I was only stating my beliefs and sharing my bad experiences. I wish you all the best in finding your car.
Old 14-11-11, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Perhaps I should change hobbies and take up hunting?
Yeehaw! I thought your hobby was pontificating on internet forums.

Marcus, fortunately the vast majority of members of this forum understand that "cash buyer" means someone who has the funds available for immediate purchase without the need a loan or a part exchange.

For what it's worth, I found my Bristol through an owner's club "wanted" ad. As far as I am aware the previous owner (who is on this forum) was not actively trying to sell the car and I would have never known of it's existence had I not posted the wanted ad. I have also bought two book collections from other Bristol owners as a result of a "wanted" ad.

So while an insignificant minority on this forum might snipe at your original post, rest assured the majority will take your post seriously and may well contact you if they have a suitable car to sell or know of someone else who does.

Finally, I am sure we are all grown up enough to know that caveat emptor always applies when buying old cars.
Old 17-11-11, 04:25 AM

Default snowed under

Marcus,
It is probably not what you want, but i have a 400 sitting in my shed without the original engine and gearbox. The body is in good condition. The interior is all there, but requires restoration. My intent was to restore it, but my current situation is going to make that difficult. I may be talked in to selling it for the right price. The engine is a holden six and is currently dismantled ready for removal.
Old 08-12-11, 11:09 AM

Default Bristol 400 Wanted -- The end result

Gentlemen, having posted this 'Wanted' request some 5-6 weeks ago, I was contacted by 'one of our number' who subsequently acted as intermediary to a certain party, who was coming to the realisation that his concours winning '400' would probably, next year, have to go to another owner.

As a result, a diplomatic, civilised and above all totally discrete dialogue was initiated that resulted in the transference of a magnificent '400' to my ownership, exactly as I had hoped and EXACTLY as member Kevin H suggested it would.

There were no avaricious agents involved, no predators, no cowboys and money laundering was not a factor; simply a good old fashioned one-to-one deal with which I am able to confidently say, that both the seller and the buyer (me) are perfectly satisfied.
Old 08-12-11, 06:23 PM
Banned

Default Finding the Brisol 400

Congratulations! Always good to hear of a happy outcome on a search and purchase. My thinking now is to find the car of my dreams through careful networking and not rely on advertisements or searching the web. Someone in the club will eventually learn of a 409, in the States, that has come up for sale. I have found a couple, but they are completely out of my price range. Importing one is not an option, but I am prepared to travel in order to put my hands on the car and then decide.