Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

412 Head and Tail Lights

Old 10-07-20, 09:20 PM

Default 412 Head and Tail Lights

Does any body know what car the head lights for a 412 ( early model) come from. I have heard some Opel but what model I have no idea.

The tail lights are from a Lancia Beta Zagato convertible but to find a source for these seems impossible. Any clues much appreciated.
Old 10-07-20, 09:31 PM

Default 412 lights

The 412 headlights are from an Opal Kadet of the era. i think you can still get as new versions if you search diligently. The tail lights are very difficult to source, so I bought a spare pair of tail lights about ten years ago when I got the opportunity just in case I ever got rear ended. I no longer have the car, but I do still have the tail lights
Old 12-07-20, 04:46 PM

Default Headlights need to dip to the left

A left hand drive Opal Kadet will have headlights that dip the wrong way for a RHD car so you would be looking for headlights from a UK model.
Old 14-07-20, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybatute View Post
A left hand drive Opal Kadet will have headlights that dip the wrong way for a RHD car so you would be looking for headlights from a UK model.

Assuming we're talking about the Kadett C (1973–1979), then perhaps headlights for a Holden Gemini from Australia or an Isuzu Gemini from Japan might be the same.
Old 14-07-20, 12:20 PM

I was wondering about the lh v rh dipping is it only on low beam. I have not been aware of this on cars I have owned in Australia . Both high and low beams seem to look directly down the road. How extreme is the offset ?
Old 14-07-20, 12:26 PM

Default Tail lights

I have just been in contact with a chap in Melbourne who is mad on Lancia Beta Zagato"s. He has had small batches of tail lights made and is in the process of have a few sets made. Contact me if any one is interested.
Old 14-07-20, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter dowdle View Post
I was wondering about the lh v rh dipping is it only on low beam. I have not been aware of this on cars I have owned in Australia . Both high and low beams seem to look directly down the road. How extreme is the offset ?

Peter, I did a quick search for Holden Gemini headlights and they appear to be readily available, and not very expensive, so no need to bother with those made for a LHD car.
Old 14-07-20, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter dowdle View Post
I have just been in contact with a chap in Melbourne who is mad on Lancia Beta Zagato"s. He has had small batches of tail lights made and is in the process of have a few sets made. Contact me if any one is interested.

I was thinking these things may be worth manufacturing. I was reading some discussion on a Lancia forum and I got the impression people would pay quite a lot for these lights.
Old 14-07-20, 09:24 PM

Kevin

Can you point me to the Gemini you have in mind I cant find anything that would fit or even look the same . The nearest I found was the period 1981 to 83 the SL series but they are quite different.

Peter Dowdle

Yes the remanufactured Tail Light Lens will be expensive but are very good quality.
Old 14-07-20, 10:53 PM

They’re from the Opel Rekord D.
Old 14-07-20, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
They’re from the Opel Rekord D.

Ah, well that explains why the Opel Kadet or Holden Gemini headlights are not suitable!
Old 15-07-20, 03:18 AM

Hi people, a long absence from this forum, but dropping on I see something that I can perhaps help with a little experience/knowledge.
412 headlamps are european market Rekord D or Commodore B. In South Africa and Iran it was a Chevrolet Royale.
I had terminal reflector rot, so bought a perfect pair of German salvage lamps and simply substituted my UK RHD lenses across.
Old 15-07-20, 12:32 PM

Default 412 Head lights.

We seem to have the correct answer as to where the lights come from. Were either the Record D or Commodore B available in right hand drive ?
Old 15-07-20, 06:24 PM

Yes, Both Commadore and Rekord were sold in the UK/Eire, but finding good headlamps will be a big ask. Opel in the 70's was far from a mainstream brand here. There is an enthusiast following, so I suppose there must be forums for them....My search was more than 10 years ago. I searched all the usual prospects without any sucess, so went onto German ebay, then shipped internally as in those days I had colleaguges travelling between Essex and our Cologne sites daily, I'd think if you also need the glass, then S africa has a much kinder climate so silvering may not be the mess most are here.

Dipped beam doesnt move the focus of the beam left or right, what it does is provide a well defined horizontal cut-off - so light is not being thrown upwards to dazzle oncoming drivers. There have been various cut off line designs over the years, but from the 1960's the tendency was to offer an upward line towards the kerbside to aid in illumination of pedestrians, cyclists who in those days habitually wore dark coats and carried no lamps, and to illuminate road signs facing you.

Last edited by peasantslife; 15-07-20 at 06:34 PM.