Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Early 412 door handle and window wiring

Old 24-08-20, 07:37 AM

Default Early 412 door handle and window wiring

Does anyone know what car the external door handles on my 412 were off ?

Also any one with knowledge of the window winding system and wiring for the early 412s. The early cars had frameless side windows and when you pulled on the internal or external door handle the windows wound down about 3/4 of an inch to enable the glass to not catch on the door seals. My car has been modified with a small external switch mounted inside the handle aperture. Needless to say it doesn't work.There is a button mounted on the door card which i believe when the door is closed the window winds back up (guess).

Any advice much appreciated.
Old 24-08-20, 07:54 AM

Door handles are from a Morris Marina I believe.
Old 24-08-20, 02:08 PM

Peter,

I gather they used micro-switches to move the windows down a tad when opening the door. Not sure exactly where they are located, but it's not surprising they are failing by now.
Old 25-08-20, 09:09 AM

Looking at the photos on the internet the morris marina handles ,although similar arn't the same as the locks on my 412. Firstly the key on mine is in the handle not the body of the unit. Secondly the marina locks seem longer than than those on the 412. Is it possible that later 412s might be different than the early cars ?

Kevin Im sure your right about micro switches. The question is how do they work? If the windows are fully up and you pull on either handle a switch would ,I guess cause the window to lower and then a second switch would cause it to stop.The door is then opened, this causes the switch in the bottom of the door to either turn off or turn on? When the door is then closed again that same switch causes the motor to wind the window fully up until a switch completes the cycle and awaits a further signal from the door handles. How this all comes together at this stage defeats me.
Old 25-08-20, 11:00 AM

Peter,
I don't know much more than this (see attached image from Bristol Cars book), but you could presumably quite easily trace the wiring and create a diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 412-windows.jpg (192.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 25-08-20, 07:03 PM

Believe the exterior door handles are shared with the Alfa Junior Zagato and Lancia Fulvia Sport Zagato.
Old 26-08-20, 04:54 AM

Philip I do believe your right. A souce of a supplier might be hard.

Thank you for that.
Old 26-08-20, 08:03 AM

Default 412 Door handle

If they are from an Alfa Junior Zagato then I would suggest contacting Alfaholics as they recently restomoded one for Gordon Murray changing the door handles as part of that process.