Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Another Bristol 412 hood question.

Old 29-05-16, 08:18 PM

Default Another Bristol 412 hood question.

Help needed please. My 412 is coming along nicely, not a restoration, more a rejuvenation. This one is a keeper and to be used.

I need help though, and if possible photographs. It concerns the rear hood. Like a previous post, mine also needs work, but my biggest problem is I can't see how the rear base of the hood attaches to the rear deck. The side mounts are there, the forward top fastenings are there, but I can't see how the rear base, the bit below the rear screen is fastened to the rear deck. I don't have rails or fittings that would fasten it. Any detail photographs available to help me please?
Old 01-06-16, 10:28 PM

412 rear hood is fastened to the rear body by four studs and nuts. If you remove the rear trim (about 2" wide) running around the rear of the base of the hood and above the rear parcel shelf (mine is not fixed but stays in position by natural springiness) you will see these four studs. Look just to the rear of the fuel filler hose and you will see the first one, follow round to the rear to find two, and the last is opposite to the first. The nuts securing the studs (and hence the hood) can be accessed from inside the boot, but you may have to remove a bit of trim.
Bottom of the hood has a sort of trapezoidal section of metal around which the hood material wraps, and has the studs welded on which secure the hood to the rear body.
Difficult to describe in words, drop in and have a look at mine (20mls South of Shrewsbury)

JP
Old 05-06-16, 08:34 PM

Thank you John. Seeing yours would be a huge help. I'm on 07925 192491 if we could exchange details. Thank you. Jim Morrow.