Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Viewing RRA 401

Old 28-07-23, 10:57 AM

Default Viewing RRA 401

Hi
I'm going to view a Bristol 401 reg no RRA 401 Sunday morning, the deceased owner bought the car in 1988 but never finished its restoration.

The engine and gearbox have been sold separately.

My intention is to maybe put in the Triumph engine gearbox and prop, would I need to change the differential?

If anyone knows of any information regarding this type of conversion, I would be interested.

Where do Bristol Owners find spare parts?
Old 29-07-23, 07:58 AM

No idea on the triumph engine conversion. But as someone coming to the end of my 403 restoration, I can tell you that there is no one place for Bristol parts! Best bet by far is to join BODA! You will find lots of information on the members only part of the website, plus BODA also have some parts available that you will struggle to find elsewhere. And if they don't have what you want, someone will know where else you might get it.
Old 29-07-23, 10:56 AM

Hi
My intentions is to join the the clubs, If everything goes well with the inspection of the body and chassis. I know the interior is in bad shape, dashboard looks complete. Would you or anyone else have any advice as to what to check whilst viewing the car. I do believe the engine and gearbox have been sold to somebody else and had been remove years ago from the car.
Old 30-07-23, 08:19 PM

How did the viewing go?
Old 30-07-23, 08:33 PM

Hi
Its pretty far gone, all tyres cracked and been standing 30+ years years.It could be a nightmare to get out the garden.
Im sure every Bristol is worth something even for parts. I do know the seller needs to sell, so the house can be sold.
I would need to take four wheels/tyres, remove brakes, and even then it could fall apart when loading on the recovery truck.
Unless he's prepared to give me it......i dont think I will consider it.
Old 26-08-23, 07:34 AM

Default Update on RRA 401

Hi
The buyer of the engine decided to take the complete car, so well done to you sir. I believe the car is going to Inverness. Maybe the buyer will put some details on here as the restoration progresses.

My search continues, although my restoration of a Citroen id/ds does keep me busy.