Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

406 chassis

Old 05-11-21, 11:12 AM

Default 406 chassis

Would anyone be able to advise on common corrosion areas on a 406 chassis ? I suspect there is no such thing as all cars have lived differently... does anyone have a good photo of the underside of a 406 ?
Old 15-11-21, 10:46 PM

Default 406 deterioration

My main troubles were boot floor, rear chassis extensions( which are very light) and the outriggers supporting the coach work and front bulkhead which was about to drop.
In my case far beyond any chance of economical repair - quoted about 5 times the cost of a good quality runner.
The engine, front suspension , roll bar, overdrive and transmission all live on in my 403 and 400. RIP 406.

Stefan Cembrowicz
Old 16-11-21, 08:06 AM

Thanks Stefan, it did appear to have some rear corrosion on one leg from photos anyway.
Old 07-12-21, 01:05 PM

Default 406 corrosion points

I've found steel corrosion in various places but mainly in the outer sill construction (inside and outside parts). The insides of rear wheel arch tubs tend to get a bit thin so worth a check for crusty spots at the chassis side. Other places to look are around the rear shock top mounts, bottom of 'A' pillars and boot floor. The front wing support beams can get quite badly corroded also, check by opening the lower wing flaps and feeling along the beam. Aluminum areas are normally rear wheel arches, rear ends of outer sills and edges of exposed panels where riveted to steel tend to be weak and flakey. I've not found to much chassis wise apart from the usual surface corrosion or where other corroded panels are joint to or cover chassis parts. Hope this helps.

Last edited by gjm9000; 07-12-21 at 01:12 PM.