Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum

Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/index.php)
-   6 cyl Bristol cars (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   406 project/basket case - no engine - need engine bay pictures (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1897)

aerokurt 21-03-21 09:14 PM

406 project/basket case - no engine - need engine bay pictures

Hello all,
Hoping to find a 406 owner who may help with photos of the engine mounting and the steering assembly in the engine bay.
This poor thing arrived here in a sad state of disorder.
Another engineless 6 cylinder Bristol. And greatly dis-assembled.
Perhaps there is one here in my area that I could visit? That would be marvelous!
Cheers for now,
Kurt

Geoff Dowdle 21-03-21 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kurt ,
I don't own a 406 but have found a photo of a 406 engine bay that might help .

Is your car LHD or RHD ?
What is it's chassis number and original engine number
Can you post a few photos of the 406 on this forum
What engine and gearbox are you planning to fit ?

Geoff

Stefan 22-03-21 10:03 AM

Engineless 406

Alas the number of engineless Bristol 6s will only grow as they are plundered by the 50s racers and by the ravages of time. Part or whole New engines are available from Inracing, though , as one would expect, they are not cheap.
One more economical option which you could consider is a transplant from another species. ( some might say a Morganitic union, I couldnít possibly comment.)
Iíve seen an impressive installation of a Rover V8 done in recent by SLJ, and Iím sure the owner wouldnít mind being asked for info.
The chassis will certainly handle more power (vide Bristols next step to Chrysler) and I think the Rover is lighter than these.
Iíve also seen a Triumph 6 cylinder and a Ford V6 installed.
Easiest to include their gearboxes, through shame to lose the lovely Bristol gearbox.
Hope that helps!!

aerokurt 30-03-21 12:45 AM

Thank you all for the replies.
I shall post info as i make progress. It's a client's car.
Someday I'll have my own Bristol.
The owner insisted that since the heritage of the Bristol 6 is from BMW, that we should install the 1995 325is engine, trans and all the computer wiring that he sent with the car!!!!
Not no, but hell no!!!
Well, I had something to say about that.
Firstly, I had to inform him, the modern engines have no lineage connection to the original, but, the Bavaria M30 series has some connection, in that, Von Falconhausen had a hand in the design of both the prewar engine as well as the designs that were in production in the 70's.
Not to mention that they are also one of my all time favorites. So, I sold him on the idea of a Bavaria engine/trans combo using a pair of Webers and a proper ignition distributor as god intended a Bristol to have.
There will be some camshaft tuning to increase hp and raise rev limits 500rpm. Est 180 to 200 hp.
Sadly, the original trans is gone too.
We are keeping the original rear end, so an overdrive 5 speed is in order to drop revs at speed.
The photo that was posted did answer questions about the steering shaft arrangement, thank you. Some idiot chopped the steering shaft and installed a universal joint, probably to get around a chevy v8 exhaust system - butchers here - it was the same on the '52 I did!
3 years ago I was given a 1952 engineless Bristol which I successfully adapted a Triumph TR6 engine and trans into it. The original driveshaft bolted straight up perfectly!
In addition, the distributor had a cable tach drive identical to the Bristol.
I was delighted.
By next post I shall have found the chassis number.
It is lhd
I shall be more prompt in my replies, henceforth.
cheers, Kurt