Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Fuel Tank

Old 18-04-15, 08:53 PM

Default Fuel Tank

My latest impediment is the fuel tank. I finally got it out today and found that it has previously been repaired with glass fibre. I think I may need to replace it.

Does anyone know of aluminium fabricators (ideally in the South East) who have/ can reproduce the 403 fuel tank? And, as always, what the likely financial impact will be? Is stainless steel a suitable alternative?
Old 18-04-15, 10:45 PM

Peter,
I suggest the easiest & cheapest option is to replace the bottom of the original tank . This is usually the problem area of the tank due to internal corrosion and impact damage.
This has been done many times successfully here in Australia, without any problems, even over a period of 20 years plus.
Unfortunately I can not suggest a alloy fabricator in your area .
To fabricate a new tank to the same design would be a major job and I assume very expensive . Then it might not fit correctly .
Geoff
Old 18-04-15, 11:16 PM

Peter/Geoff
On all the 401/403 tanks I have taken off there has been what looks like fibre glass resin on the base of the tank under the straps, many years ago I sold a tank to someone who stripped this off went to Bristol Cars to get it repaired only to be told that this was factory applied to seal the tank and protect it from the reaction with the steel straps.
Peter, make sure it is not this that is causing concern as it may not need repair if it does I would certainly follow Geoff advice and have the tank repaired.
Having said that I have used fibre glass resin to seal two petrol tanks , one of which has lasted 18 years without problem the other 5 years, not a solution for the purist perhaps but it does work.
Geoff.
Old 19-04-15, 07:51 AM

Default 403 tank

I repaired my 403 tank 40 years ago in situ with Araldite. 10 years later I removed it and had it copied in aluminium. Stainless would be a good alternative, but the fabricator was able to cut out and transfer the details on top (pipe and float insert) saving him time and me money. Local small firm near Bristol, and they showed me a (small) pile of alloy turbo inlet manifolds they had just cut and rewelded for the Bristol factory. Then- back in the day - the tank cost £100: it wasn't a difficult job and they did that sort of thing all the time, so shop around locally for aluminium fabricators.
Old 19-04-15, 10:30 AM

A follow on question, would neoprene be a better lining for the strap than the felt(?) that was originally used to reduce galvanic action?
Old 12-05-15, 09:57 PM

Got the tank back from the cleaner and it is holed all over the place. Deep breath and looking for a fabricator. Looks like it will be £600 plus.
Old 12-05-15, 11:15 PM

Peterg,
are all the holes in the bottom of the tank ??
If so just replace the bottom .
To fabricate a complete new tank would be very expensive and I doubt would fit correctly .
Geoff
Old 13-05-15, 07:58 PM

If only. In the bottom, around the sides right to the top. The vapour blasting found (made) many holes while the welder looked at the pitting and said it was too risky to repair.

Should be able to salvage parts of the old tank to ensure the new one is the same size
Old 13-05-15, 09:22 PM

Peterg,
It sounds like you have no choice but a new tank .
This is far worse than any I have heard of in Australia .
The message for other Aerodyne owners is that "your tanks are probably in similar condition "

Geoff
Old 19-05-15, 06:10 AM

Hi,

on both fuel tanks on my 401´s was corrosion (al versus fe...). A lot of very small holes.
Repair was very easy to do: cleaning al and using Devcon Aluminium Putty (very expensive, but great quality!).
Between al-tank and fe-staps I have put a rubber-seal (no contact between fe and al!).
No problems any more!
German TÜV (your MOT) agreed in this method!
No costs beside Devcon Aluminium Putty. And some dirty hands...

Klaus
Old 19-05-15, 09:18 AM

Klaus ,
as well as corrosion between the steel straps and alloy tank the main concern is what you can not see . That is the corrosion at the bottom of the inside of the tank , cause by water in the fuel from condensation & other sources . This corrosion slowly occurs over decades while owners happily polish the body work and timber dash .

Geoff
Old 19-05-15, 02:06 PM

Hi,

of course I have taken a look inside (removing sender unit) - all fine (in both tanks!). So: no problems expected.

Klaus
Old 29-06-15, 04:26 PM

Reading this thread the 401 refers to "tanks" & the 403 to "tank". So does the 401 have 2 & the 403 just the one? I have no doubt they are not easy to remove!
Old 26-07-15, 09:50 PM

Attached (I hope) are some photos of why the tank had to be replaced and the new tank that I hope to install shortly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-05-06 11.20.52 - Copy.jpg (153.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-05-06 11.20.39 - Copy.jpg (132.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-06-23 13.08.00.jpg (556.2 KB, 30 views)