Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

401 horn wiring from steering wheel

Old 03-04-15, 10:20 AM

Default 401 horn wiring from steering wheel

Any info on how best to wrap the horn wire around the steering column so that it doesn't grip and limit the steering range. Was there a special sprung loaded wire or some other arrangement?
Old 05-04-15, 12:58 AM

I will try and look up the workshop manual if I get a chance over the weekend but from memory, and it was over 30 years ago when I dismantled a 401 I had crashed the horn wire I seem to remember comes up through the steeering column into the horn assembly, I may even have a spare one of those around if you are stuck. I think it is that part of the system that allows the wheel to turn without compromising the wires.
Geoff.
Old 06-04-15, 03:26 PM

As suspected the wire for the horn does go through the steering column and it attaches to the horn button assemly. Section 9 of the workshop manual relating to the steering system has the details and I am sure I have seen this on the BOC or BODA website, though probably you have to be a member to accsess this data. I have not had a chance to look for the old horn button assembly or the column that came out of the car but if I can find them and assuming the wire is still in place I may be able to come back with more info.
Geoff.

Tags
horn, steering, wiring