Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 6 cyl Bristol cars

6 cyl Bristol cars Type 400 to 406 - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Aerodyne window regulator

Old 15-06-14, 06:08 PM

Default Aerodyne window regulator

Does anyone know if a faulty aerodyne window regulator can be repaired ? The glass can be pushed up and down by hand, so it suggests the clutch mechanism is broken.
Old 15-06-14, 08:02 PM

Default Window winder mechanism.

I have had this problem on my 405 for far too long. If I remember correctly, there is a toothed quadrant that engages with a toothed wheel where wear causes skipping when under load. So, winding the window down is no problem but up, under load causes the teeth to skip. I sent the mechanism away some years ago to be repaired but came back unresolved.
Has anyone solved this?
Old 16-06-14, 04:42 AM

The problem with the Aerodyne & 405DH window winder mechanisms is they are not designed for the weight of the glass .
I suggest you remove the winder mechanism from the door and take it to a wrecker of 50's English saloons /Austin, Morris etc . Most will function by the same principle and you will have to strip both and change over the small drive gear that will be damaged . Pick one out of a rear door as it will have had less use .
Probably best to get a spare as your other door will be just about shot .

Good Luck
Geoff
Old 16-06-14, 05:49 AM

Luckily I did have a spare but I would like to repair the old one for a back up and discovered this Ford one that looks almost identical to the Bristol one whilst searching Google

Early Ford Store of Ca - Early_Ford_Parts New and Used Original Parts for 1928-1959 Cars & Trucks

Hopefully the four bolt holes will be the same or near enough to make it fit ! They also sell various clutch and spring repair parts, so it may be possible to use one of them to repair the original -- I will know when I have it in pieces :-)

Be careful to secure / put something under the glass when un bolting the regulator as it drops like a guillotine if you are not careful !!

Hope this helps someone
Old 16-06-14, 06:23 AM

Come to think of it , the Ford one can definitely be made to work as they sell all the surrounding items such as the window channel and the winder handles that also look identical to the original Bristol items

Anyone going on holiday to the USA that wants to bring home a suitcase full of regulators ? :-)).

Alternatively this UK company may be able to help Ford Model A | Window Winder parts Parts | Model A Ford Parts Spares

The 406 onward regulators are a different story and they more closely resemble Jaguar / MG regulators of the era --- I used the bits from an MGB to fix my 408 window
Old 16-06-14, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 405dh View Post
I have had this problem on my 405 for far too long. If I remember correctly, there is a toothed quadrant that engages with a toothed wheel where wear causes skipping when under load. So, winding the window down is no problem but up, under load causes the teeth to skip. I sent the mechanism away some years ago to be repaired but came back unresolved.
Has anyone solved this?
The slipping problem you have is different to the worn clutch problem that I had that allowed a closed window to be pushed up and down -- your problem can sometimes be cured by moving the quadrant to a different position where the worn part isn't in contact with the gear, as all of the quadrant isn't used in the full window travel. --- it will only get worse !!