Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Non Bristol Forums > Wanted - Cars, Parts & Automobilia

Wanted Contacts for finding Bristol 401/403 parts

Old 15-12-21, 07:35 PM

Default Wanted Contacts for finding Bristol 401/403 parts

Hi
I'm re-kindling buying a dismantled Bristol 401/403 project, some parts are missing, and from his memory he has indicated that the steering wheel, rear axle casting, door cards, lights, engine /gearbox are missing. He's is going to give me more details, when he has gathered all the parts together after Christmas.

I never expected to find a project with its engine/gearbox, so it was my intentions to use the triumph straight six /manual o/d gearbox, so if anyone has information / advice in this conversion please get in touch.

If anyone has details of people who may have parts and advice on restoring these cars on a budget.... would also be very helpful.

Colin
East Yorkshire
Old 15-12-21, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin from Hull View Post
Hi
I'm re-kindling buying a dismantled Bristol 401/403 project, some parts are missing, and from his memory he has indicated that the steering wheel, rear axle casting, door cards, lights, engine /gearbox are missing. He's is going to give me more details, when he has gathered all the parts together after Christmas.

I never expected to find a project with its engine/gearbox, so it was my intentions to use the triumph straight six /manual o/d gearbox, so if anyone has information / advice in this conversion please get in touch.

If anyone has details of people who may have parts and advice on restoring these cars on a budget.... would also be very helpful.

Colin

East Yorkshire
Hi Colin.

Becoming the curator of a Bristol to get it back on the road is a noble hobby and each car that goes from a lump of parts to road-worthy is a good thing. Restoring on a budget involves investing in some good tools and remembering that hand-made means it can be re-made by hand. If you can do the power train conversion using as many bolt-in parts as possible, then sometime in the future when a Bristol collector widow offers you an original Bristol engine for £100 you can do a re-swap without a lot of gas-axe work

Your question was discussed in this forum at 401 engine sugestions.. There seems to be some views that the Triumph fits without a lot of mods.

One suggestion in that thread was the Alfa 1750 motor from the 105 series 1969-72). I own such an Alfa (69 1750 boat tail with the US Spec Spica fuel injection set up by Ingram Enterprises) and it is a wonderful, yet simple motor with a very nice 5-speed. No idea what is involved in fitting it.

Also see https://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/threads/...t-last.527306/. Claude
Old 15-12-21, 11:06 PM

Hi Claude
Thanks for your reply, and plenty for me to read within the links....

Cheers Colin
Old 20-12-21, 11:04 PM

Colin,
I have an axle case no diff, just sold, and no half shafts as I am keeping for my 401's. Alternatively I have a complete 405 rear axle which may be available also I am prepared to sell a project 401, car 98/99% complete with a choice of engines both 85C, it was originally left hand drive and I would have liked to get it back to that layout but time is against me so am prepared to consider selling as is. My other 401's will probably also be for sale again in the new year.
Geoff.
Old 21-12-21, 09:54 AM

Hi Geoff
Plenty of information within your message and other options to consider.

So if I'm reading it right you have a rear bare axle casting for sale, if so, how much would this be?

The reason I'm considering this particular 401 project.
Is because it doesnt have it's engine, so it makes it more affordable.

I would be curious to know the prices of your cars and maybe some photos of the project car, although i was wanting a RHD model.

Cheers!
Colin
Old 22-12-21, 07:11 PM

Hi Colin,
I have sent you a private message, you might actually have got two, the first was not showing in my sent items but that may simply be because I forgot to put a title on it.
Any questions please ask.
Geoff.