Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Wanted - anything Bristol car related

Affordable Bristol 412 wanted

Old 24-09-12, 03:42 AM

Default Affordable Bristol 412 wanted

Hello all,

being located in The Netherlands, Bristols are a bit thin on the ground here yet, due to (or thanks to ?) my connection with Zagato, I have started to taking a liking to the 412...

I am looking to acquire a decent 412 with a current long MOT so that I can be reasonably sure that it will pass all the testing it will have to go through to get it registered here in the NL.

I am on a budget but also know that beggars can't be choosers yet would like to get the best and nicest car that my few quid can get me...

I am aware of the "horribly expensive" white car that is on the market and have been told by several people (haven't seen the car in person) that it would cost a ton to get it right. That's NOT what I'm looking for....

I'm also not looking for a project as I would like to drive the car home, get it tested & registered and enjoy driving it.

Who will help me to my first Bristol?

Best regards,
Jack
The Netherlands
Old 27-09-12, 06:07 AM

Hi, Jack,

Quote:
being located in The Netherlands, Bristols are a bit thin on the ground here yet
Well... It is all relative... 10 years ago I drove up to my local (generic) service garage here in the centre of Amsterdam to do the annual MOT (APK), prepared for the usual "what car is *that*?", but got "oh, another Bristol again!"....

Quote:
I am looking to acquire a decent 412 with a current long MOT so that I can be reasonably sure that it will pass all the testing it will have to go through to get it registered here in the NL.
I am pretty sure the only testing it will have to go through is the normal APK (MOT), as there are already 412's on Dutch number plates, so it is a "known model" for the RDW (registration authority). It is the first one of a given model that is the issue, subsequent ones go through as "same as X".

Quote:
I'm also not looking for a project as I would like to drive the car home, get it tested & registered and enjoy driving it.
Just make sure you subscribe to a recovery service - ANWB or KNAC (I have the latter) (AA/RAC equivalents for our non-Dutch friends). My Brigand threw a fan belt on the way from Kensington to Amsterdam (via Calais), of course late at night...
Old 27-09-12, 06:22 AM

Smile Bristol 412 wanted

Jack

I can usually help with finding Bristol cars, having been in the business for 20 years.

At the moment I do not have a 412, which is unusual.

As a Zagato man, note I do have a 406 Zagato about to go on web-sites

Andrew Blow
Bristols from Andrew Blow
Old 27-09-12, 07:53 AM

Well, thank you Andrew and Julf.

I presume that the RDW indeed holds a "typegoedkeuring" (model approvement) for the 412 but am not entirely sure and I am also always a little weary on cars that got a "quick & easy" MOT to get it sold (also happens over here in NL of course).

I ran a quick check on the RDW registration data and apart from a lot of buses, campervans and lorries, I can only find 19 "active" Bristols, none of which is a 412.

To add to my original query, I am not looking for a concours car as a) that would exceed my allocated budget and b) knowing myself, I would want to keep it in pristine condition and would be to afraid to actually use it.

There was a blue 412 which required a little work on the carandclassic website which sold before I found it but that was a car that I could very well live with.

Andrew: I run the semi-official history website for Zagato and I would be very interested to talk to you and document the car as the original Zagato archive has vanished in the lists of time so we are trying to gather as much information as we can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 29-09-12, 01:30 PM

Default There is a 412 called beaufighter in Holland

Hi,
I own a 412 in Holland.
Just give me a call, I can tell you more.
Simon
Old 01-10-12, 10:08 AM

Simon,

will give you a call shortly.

Best,
Jack
Old 01-10-12, 10:25 AM

I don't believe there is any such thing as a " quick and easy " MOT in the UK any more ! There are too many cross checks and too much to risk for the testers to do anyone a "favour" for an easy pass - especially if they are selling it.

I think someone with the Heritage Trust is doing a talk on the 412 on the 6th of this month -- maybe a help !
Old 11-04-15, 05:11 PM

There is one in France:

Bristol 412 zagato targa - 1977 - 30 ex Voitures Nord - leboncoin.fr