Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Wanted - anything Bristol car related

Boring

Closed Thread

Old 27-02-10, 11:50 AM

Default Boring

Thanks Kevin
Just wasted the last 3/4 hour wading through 50 odd boring emails hoping to
find something properly Bristol related, instead, having to read a load of
largely trite egotistical rubbish for fear of missing something
worthwhile.........
Old 27-02-10, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasa View Post
Thanks Kevin
Just wasted the last 3/4 hour wading through 50 odd boring emails hoping to
find something properly Bristol related, instead, having to read a load of
largely trite egotistical rubbish for fear of missing something
worthwhile.........
What precisely are you moaning to Kevin about?

Your apparent slow reading speed?
Your foolishness in sticking with reading something you found boring and rubbish?

Its nice to see your first contribution to this forum is a querrulous whinge.

OZy - again
Old 27-02-10, 08:46 PM

Ozy,
The first thing I did this morning was check to see what mischief you had been up to overnight and how many other people have emailed me requesting deletion of their account.

I'm sorry but I can't go on like that, you leave me no option but to stop you posting on the site.

Regards,
Kevin
Old 27-02-10, 11:00 PM

Interesting.

Today, via this board, I have had an private message exchange with another visitor here, that he initiated, who spoke against certain recent postings.

I replied to him that the presence of such postings on any such site were not truly the responsibility of the poster, but of the site manager.

QED.
Old 28-02-10, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning l View Post
I replied to him that the presence of such postings on any such site were not truly the responsibility of the poster, but of the site manager.
Lou, the forums on this site are "self moderated", that means when you post on the site no one checks what you have said before the post is published. It is made quite clear when you register that you are responsible for your own posts.

The site Terms of Use can also be found here.

If you or anyone else believe that I should be responsible for what you post, please let me know.
Old 28-02-10, 12:35 PM

Default Boring

Next bout, round 1

Nick
Old 28-02-10, 12:42 PM

On another site I visit regularly, the moderator states this:

"The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content."

I think we all understand that applies on any site, but also that each poster is ultimately accountable to the moderator for his postings.

An offended member has no way to influence others except by moral suasion, or by departing, both of which have been tried here with little, if any, success. As moderator, you do have another way, as just demonstrated.

So, while you own neither tone, nor intent, nor content, you do own the site; thus you have the burden of controlling continued violations of your standards, stated or unstated.

Some moderators run their sites with vigorous upfront statements about what is acceptable content, and then act immediately if an offense is found to have occurred. That is their choice. You do it differently; that is your choice. All who come here accept that, even if some of us have different expectations than others as to how a post should be read, or interpreted, or construed.

My original post plainly offended some, but it did not offend the author whose work drew my comments. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 28-02-10, 03:40 PM

BORING is correct

Anyone know something interesting about cars ?

Ozy did but went too far. Maybe there should be two yellows and a red. I bet as many were entertained as offended.

I don't know Lou or Ozy but they both seem nice blokes when calm. A fine of buying the Balfour book for the student could be productive. I wonder if Google will make all the Bristol books available electronicly ?

Greg
Old 28-02-10, 07:11 PM

I made a proposal to Gordon last night that will, if he is able to act on it, provide first him, and then his universtiy library, with a copy of David Balfour's book.
Old 28-02-10, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning l View Post
I made a proposal to Gordon last night that will, if he is able to act on it, provide first him, and then his university library, with a copy of David Balfour's book.
All's well that ends well. Nice gesture.

Greg
Closed Thread