Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Wanted - anything Bristol car related

Bristol Metaline colour

Old 20-07-17, 04:17 PM

Default Bristol Metaline colour

Hello,

I saw the discussion about metaline colours some years ago and would like to get some detailed information about a blue shade. Is there perhaps a possibility to get an information, photo etc. about the colour Blue Metaline M 651 ? It would be lovely if you can give me an advice. Thank you very much for your efforts.

Best regards
Desmo
Old 25-07-17, 03:07 PM

I have seen some discussion on AC websites about this colour which was apparently used on the Ace and early Cobra's as well as on some Bristols, one paint shop had posted pictures and said the closest they could get to it was Guardsman Blue, the metaline referred to the type of paint not the colour and on a former posting on this site there was a photograph of a Bristol colour chart with several metaline blues on it but none with the reference number M651.
Not sure if the link will work if not try searching AC Ace Colours metaline blue or Guardsman Blue.

AC Ace Colour - 1953 AC Ace 2.0L(AC)

Geoff.
Old 25-07-17, 05:33 PM

Hello Geoff,

Thank you very much. The link is working. I have seen a Bristol Certificate with the information about the genuine colour Blue Metaline M.651 and very interested to get some more details. There was no information in document, if this is a more light, middle or dark blue shade.

Best regards
Desmo

Last edited by Desmo; 25-07-17 at 07:39 PM.
Old 25-07-17, 09:03 PM

Hello Desmo,
Chasing paint colours from photographs film or digital is always difficult as is colour charts and code numbers as formula's change . I remember taking a photograph on film of a fantastic metallic blue colour on a 408 at a small club event in Sussex years ago the print caught the colour perfectly but had not been sealed properly, it stuck to another picture and was ruined, I had it printed again but the result was dull and washed out, a shame.
I found the best print film at the time was made by Ilford and the results properly printed were exactly what you saw,much better even today than digital prints, such is progress!
My 401 was originally Cambridge Grey there are traces of it still on the car but it not the same as several more recently painted Cambridge Grey cars I have seen, a bit like Rolls Royce Shell and Tudor Grey which have changed quite a bit over the years.
Hope you find the match you are looking for.
Kind regards,
Geoff.
Old 25-07-17, 09:31 PM

This may be the post Geoff referred to
Simon Drapers Blenheim