Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Non Bristol Forums > Restoration and Repair - non specific

Restoration and Repair - non specific Restoration and repair of non-Bristol cars

Unhappy postings

Closed Thread

Old 28-10-10, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning l View Post
Our local newspaper publisher defines "free speech" thusly:

"I have a printing press; I am free to print what I wish to have in my newspaper.

" 'Free speech' means you may have your own printing press with which you are free to print what you wish to print.

" 'Free speech' most definitely does not mean I have to print with my press what you wish me to print."
It really frustrates me when I write letters to my local newspaper criticising the local city council and they don't publish them.

Must get my own printing press one of these days!
Old 28-10-10, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Levine View Post
Claude your idea for a webmaster-supervised complaint section could be very problematic in relation to potential libel suits.
Libel in cyberspace gets very interesting, because the first battle is usually one over jurisdiction. That fight alone can cost a fortune, before you even get to hear the libel case.

Libel laws of course differ from one country to the next. The UK's libel laws are quite archaic and favour the plaintiff even when what was said was actually true. Whereas in many other parts of the world unless the plaintiff can prove that what has been said was untrue, they are unlikely to win the case.

In the case of a British manufacturer, being criticised by a Belgian customer, on a self moderated web forum based in Australia, with an international audience, and the forum sits on a server leased by a Pty Ltd company, the mind boggles at the possibilities!
Old 29-10-10, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Challacombe View Post
.... it just goes to prove that there is a vast difference in translation from the English humour to the Belgium/German/Italian
Nick, this is indeed the root of the problem.

Eric emailed me directly and he thought you were calling him a dog. In reply I explained to Eric that your dog comment was just a figure of speech and could sometimes even be taken as a compliment.

However, by the time I could email Eric due to the time difference, he had already responded.

Hopefully that's nipped that one in the bud

Just as well we don't use many Aussie colloquialisms!
Old 29-10-10, 08:50 AM

Default Unhappy postings

I rather suspect our Belgian friend knew this which is why his campaign against Bristol has been waged on this forum and not the three uk forums. Of course the easiest action is always against the publisher........which is why a lot of Internet blogs don't moderate comments because as soon as you moderate you take responsibility for the content.

Paul
Old 29-10-10, 08:57 AM

Default Unhappy postings

Not sure if this helps, but being the owner of the S6 advertised in Octane I
can vouch for the high quality of BCL workmanship. Naturally, it is still a
classic car with the occasional issue - but as a family car driven weekly
(by someone without a clue how to fix even the smallest of problem) it
cannot be temperamental, and I have so far found it to be very reliable.
Only last week I was stuck in a bumper-to-bumper traffic jam on the M3 for 2
hours (4 hr journey in total), and passed approximately 10 cars on the side
lane which had over heated - and they were much newer than mine. Finally,
and following this successful nut and build 411 restoration, you may be
interested to learn that my brother has ordered the first (from BCL) S6 603
which is due before Christmas.
Old 29-10-10, 09:05 AM

Default Unhappy postings

I have had a classic restoration of a 412 from Bristol Cars and I cannot speak highly enough of their work and the value for money BCL deliver. Almost every item on the car was replaced during the restoration. At a fixed price. Very few companies I know would offer that.

It is worth noting that a series 6 411 is a completely rebuilt car to Blenheim mechanical spec which uses new/modern components not restored parts. A restored original car, even with a new engine, is a classic restoration car. There is about 70,000 in the difference between the two!

If you are looking at an engine upgrade to your car I can again recommend BCL who have designed and built an engine for my car as a one off. They insisted on modifying my gearbox valve body to get the best out of the engine performance curve, at their own cost. They are more demanding of themselves than I am, and I am nobody's pushover.

The cost wouldn't have covered the cost of a cylinder head on an Aston.

I would discount Eric's 'story' as there is another unspoken side to this from what I gather.

Regards

Paul
Old 29-10-10, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdownplace View Post
I rather suspect our Belgian friend knew this which is why his campaign against Bristol has been waged on this forum and not the three uk forums. Of course the easiest action is always against the publisher........which is why a lot of Internet blogs don't moderate comments because as soon as you moderate you take responsibility for the content.

Paul
But, Paul, if "moderate" means not posting, i.e., not allowing the post to be on the board to begin with, then no responsibility is taken on by the proprietor.
No website operator is forced to leave posted messages if he does not choose to. Of course, in so doing he creates a tone for the site that may lessen its appeal.
There are many boards that do this. Most of the boards on fine watches, for example, state very firmly that certain types of posts simply are not allowed.
And, many do not allow "objectionable" photos.
Old 29-10-10, 09:35 AM

Default Unhappy postings

Hi Lou,in the UK any form of control over content is deemed to be approval of what is left and leaves you open to an action.

This is why it is such a minefield
Old 29-10-10, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Paul
Paul ,
one more time you are wrong
As always , I have the honesty to contact the webmaster to explain what I want to do
I have contacted the BOC in the UK and got a telephone call yesterday .

To be defamatory , a post should be fake
Up to now , I have not read any clever or technical post saying
"Eric this photo is fake , Eric ,this is not true"
Just post about my mental illness
It's just a bit light !!

I have more than 500 mails exchanged and it takes time to read everything

I found a mail today and this is what they had written

Hi Eric

Yes it is your axle.
I agree from the picture, it is BAD. I can only apologize

Before writing this is not true , I can forward the mail if necessary
Old 29-10-10, 10:37 AM

Its reassuring that those of you who have experience of BCL V8 car rebuilds have positive experiences.

I look forward to discussing specifications with BCL early 2011 - I suspect the rebuild,engine mods, repaint etc to my requirements may turn out to be an S6 but will have to see.

Anyone have any idea how long it takes? - 6/9/12 months?

Do you deal in the first instance with London office or Filton office?

Thanks

Steve
Old 29-10-10, 10:37 AM

Default Unhappy postings

Eric, you are on a crusade, which you alluded to in one of your deleted posts where you are apparently going to write to every 2l owner, take out adverts in the press, set up a website etc. Forgive me but those are not the actions of an impartial man.

In my opinion much of what you have written is libellous, that is not to say there is no truth in it, rather that you are over egging the issues, omitting all the mitigating factors and ascribing motives to the facts as you see them that are defamatory. On top of that the 'facts' are in dispute and you are presenting them as God's own evidence.

You might take care to look up malicious libel which is an altogether different animal.

There is a difference between having a legitimate grievance and pursuing a jihad.

I have no problem whatever with the former.
Old 29-10-10, 11:00 AM

Default Unhappy postings

That explains his very cross reply!
Thank you for helping him to understand what I was trying to say.
It just shows. how the situation with BCL might have got out of hand.
Offence can be taken, as it was in this case, where non was intended only, wry observations.
That's life!
Nick
Old 29-10-10, 11:20 AM

Default Unhappy postings

Steve, a classic restoration takes about four to five months. You just ring Toby Silverton at Kensington. There is a very long goodies list you can go for!

Paul
Old 29-10-10, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Hi Lou,in the UK any form of control over content is deemed to be approval of what is left and leaves you open to an action.

This is why it is such a minefield
Interesting.

Does that mean that if old Robby Noakes down in OZ were to see a photo of my shotgun and 1. posts compliments to me on the gun, then adds
2. a derogatory remark about how poorly I shoot it, and concludes in a sentence 3. I am not entitied to own such a fine gun (say a Marks & Spencer item, that cost me 15 pounds sterling) and the blog proprietor deletes part 3, as being an opinion rather than a fact, that he, the proprietor, is open to action from Noakes for censorship? Or from me?

If this feeble attempt is a poorly composed example, perhaps you can give me a better one.

In passing, I don't intend to run a blog anywhere!

If UK law were to prevail in the US, we'd have very few blogs if I understand you correctly.

Last edited by browning l; 29-10-10 at 11:58 AM.
Old 29-10-10, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Steve, a classic restoration takes about four to five months. You just ring Toby Silverton at Kensington. There is a very long goodies list you can go for!

Paul
Based on what Mr Chairman (TS, that is) told us last May, that timetable may be a bit optimistic depending on the work order.

Then, there is always the human tendency to add some more goodies to the list after the job has begun and that would prolong completion, without a doubt.

There can be only so many workers at work on a vehicle at any given time, as one will understand.
Old 29-10-10, 12:15 PM

Default Unhappy postings

There is no law against censorship. But there is for libel. In the UK if you have snow outside your door and you attempt to clear it and someone falls you are liable because you took responsibility for the whole thing as soon as you touched it. If you just leave your snow untouched and someone falls then that is their problem alone, you are not liable. Moderating blogs works the same way which is why you either don't moderate at all in which case you get spammed by nutcases and the real users fade away or you moderate pretty heavily to avoid any action, libel is the least of your worries as you can be held liable for racist, homophobic or religious hatred quite easily and these are criminal rather than civil issues.

Paul
Old 29-10-10, 01:19 PM

Default Unhappy postings

Hi Lou, mine took under five months last time, TS did indicate a similar time to me in the last few weeks when discussing an addition to the fold although the works are full. Series 6 are on waiting lists.

Paul
Old 29-10-10, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Eric, you are on a crusade, pursuing a jihad.
Reading this let me think that you have a serious problem

The Crusades were a series of religiously sanctioned military campaigns waged by much of Roman Catholic Europe, between 1095 and 1291

A person engaged in jihad is called a mujahid ! Jihad is an important religious duty for Muslims

In case you are representative of the "Bristol world" ....I am not interested to be in your world !

Once again, your insults make me laugh and shows your level of hatred against a member of this forum who just wanted to have his Bristol on the road and paid for it !
Old 29-10-10, 01:44 PM

Quote:
There is no law against censorship. But there is for libel.
Paul
I thought libel is the communication of a statement that makes a false claim

I guess with you I have just the right to shut up and pay

As Jacques Brel said "Plus ça devient vieux plus on devient bête ..... plus ça devient vieux plus ça devient con ' )
Old 29-10-10, 01:46 PM

It is not enough to read and write English, you have to understand what you are reading and writing too
Closed Thread