Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Non Bristol Forums > Other topics of interest

Other topics of interest Discussions about anything else, i.e motoring, trends, politics, even the EU!

moderation

Old 01-02-11, 10:38 PM

Default moderation

Is free speech better than moderation ?

I believe so !
Old 01-02-11, 10:55 PM

So why do we go on forum sites ?

To express our love for a make and model of car ?

To share knowledge ?

To help fellow owners ?

To help others save on costs of running our cars ?

To argue the toss about our differing opinions ? even a heated debate !!

All of the above perhaps ?

Then why do some sites insist on a moderator when even a good moderator can only have a limited point of view ?

That's why this forum probably has the most productive discussions and conclusions to a debate about cars even if they do occasionally go off topic.
Old 02-02-11, 12:52 AM

Greg,

As you know, this site is intended to be "self moderated", any "moderation" per se is by exception and after the event.

Ironically I have moved this thread out of the 8cyl Bristol Cars forum because it was completely off topic

As for the sentiment of your post, I agree with you, up to a point. I am happy to see vigorous debate and differing opinions in the forums which are on topic. However, when things get really heated, personal and/or contentious, it can be damaging and often results in some people leaving the forum.

Moving away from instant email notifications should help lessen the impact of such threads.

I also appreciate that discussion threads can drift off topic accidentally, but I do not believe there is any justification for completely nonsensical posts which have no relation to the thread whatsoever, or new threads which have nothing to do with the forum they are posted in.