Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Non Bristol Forums > Other topics of interest

Other topics of interest Discussions about anything else, i.e motoring, trends, politics, even the EU!

American Whiskey

Old 01-01-11, 05:02 PM

Default American Whiskey

Hi all -

We have been trying various rye whiskeys over the last few years after one (Rittenhouse) won a tasting competition in San Francisco about 5 years ago. We recently opened Redemption Rye, from Indiana, which claims to be made from 95% rye mash. Very nice.

Rye is the original whiskey of America, made by George Washington among many others. There is a definite new interest in this variety and the better spirits shops will have 5-10 varieties.

See http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tony-s..._b_634918.html

Some of the prices of the ryes mentioned are in the realm of the better single malts.

Bob & Shannon
Old 04-01-11, 07:12 AM

Hello Bob,

very interesting topic! I like very much American whiskey, being one of the first in Italy to look for Jack Daniels' 30 yrs ago, when it was not the mass-produced product sold also in supermarkets that it is today.

Nowadays I drink much less than before and my daily allowance is consumed in dry Martinis, but I like very much Knob Creek. It is also produced in large quantities and advertised on 'lifestyle' magazines like WIRED, but it's very strong and tasty anyway. I'll try to find the Redempton Rye, I'm sure that it is terrific.

Thanks

Stefano