Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Non Bristol Forums > Other Cars

Other Cars Discussion about car marques other than Bristol

Wife needs car or scooter for Italy in Sept.

Old 01-03-11, 10:38 AM

Default Wife needs car or scooter for Italy in Sept.

My wife was awarded a three months artist residency in Martignano (Lecce), Italy starting in Sept and running for three months. It was suggested she get a motor scooter to get around, or an absurdly cheap car which she would sell or leave for future artists when she departs at the end of November. Looking at eBay Italy, my lack of language skills suggests I may be over my head on this one. She wants me to join her for the beginning of her residency.

Anyone know a good way to proceed? Budget would be under 500 Euros, methinks, or perhaps barter for a work of art (see her web site).

Claude
Old 01-03-11, 03:15 PM
Ex Member

Hi Claude,
I have a home and car in Northern Italy...the issue re a cheap car would be Insurance for 3 months.
Also anything that has an ownership, becomes a MAJOR issue in transferring the paperwork as she would be a non resident.
So buyng without current papers as in "radiata" would be the way to go. I can then get you insurance and paperwork from Germany for about 500 euro.
Ins is about 150 a month.
You then still have to buy the vehicle.
Cheers,
Dorien
Old 01-03-11, 06:29 PM

Hello Claude,

no trouble finding a cheap car/scooter here, but papers could be a problem. Dorien, are you sure that a 'radiata' scooter or car would be ok? It would still have to pass some MoT, I think.
A personal advice would be to find someone in Martignano who wants to sell his scooter/car with its Italian registration and MoT, pay it (cheap) so you can have his/hers help if something breaks. Then contact an insurer either in UK or in Italy (Centro Assicurativo Pavese in Pavia is very good with foreign plates and drivers) and you don't have to do much more than that.

Just an idea, of course.

Stefano
Old 01-03-11, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasini s View Post
Hello Claude,

no trouble finding a cheap car/scooter here, but papers could be a problem. Dorien, are you sure that a 'radiata' scooter or car would be ok? It would still have to pass some MoT, I think.
A personal advice would be to find someone in Martignano who wants to sell his scooter/car with its Italian registration and MoT, pay it (cheap) so you can have his/hers help if something breaks. Then contact an insurer either in UK or in Italy (Centro Assicurativo Pavese in Pavia is very good with foreign plates and drivers) and you don't have to do much more than that.

Just an idea, of course.

Stefano
Thanks for the replies. May I ask what radiata is? In New Zealand, it is a type of pine tree.
Does a 50 cc moped/motorscooter require insurance?
How about an electric powered scooter or even electric powered bike?
Old 01-03-11, 11:50 PM
Ex Member

Radiata......A nasty Italian custom of taking the vehicle off the Italian registry of vehicles. If you don't, and leave the item parked in your garage for years, you still pay the road taxes and any other charges that may apply.
If you were doing a long term restoration you may pay as much in accrued taxes a spart of the restoration.
If you do a radiazione you don't have to pay as the vehicle is off the system. It is worth less but then that it to your advantage.
This then allows one to re-register the item in another country and use "green card" tourist Ins. Typically 150 euro /month Ins + reregistering paperwork = a total of some 500 euro. It also avoids parking / speeding tickets.
To Stefano...no no Mot not all countries use MOT...I and friends, have been doing it for some 30 + years.
In other countries we can register in 15 minutes....say 25 if there are people in the line ahead of you. In Italy as you know, it may take a year and much aggravation...one of the reasons I only stay a month at a time......
Regards,
Dorien
Old 03-03-11, 02:04 PM
Ex Member

As a follow up I checked with the Pavese Ins company and they most definitely do not insure foreign visitors.
I have pasted in their reply (complete with typo errors) and Stefano can see for himself.
I have no information on small engine stuff but Stefano might.
Cheers,
Dorien

Buongiorno, mi dispispiace ma gli è stata data un'informazione errata.
Assicuriamo auto a cittadini italiani che acquistano auto d'epoca con targa provvisoriamente straniera.
Cordiali saluti
Raffaella