Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum

Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/)
-   Other Cars (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/other-cars/)
-   -   Air Bag SRS on Discovery Series 1 (http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/other-cars/391-air-bag-srs-discovery-series-1-a.html)

Kevin H 01-03-10 11:42 AM

Air Bag SRS on Discovery Series 1

Does anyone know if removing the fuse for the Air Bag system on a series 1 Discovery disables the air bags so that they can't go off?

Nick Challacombe 01-03-10 12:39 PM

I do not but I know a member who can give you a definative answer,

The foremost Land/Range Rover modifier in the UK and Bristol 409 owner,
known
on the other Forum as Thor.
Jonathan Douglas of JE Engineering jond@jeengineering.co.uk

regards,

Nick

GREG 01-03-10 12:49 PM

If the airbag light is on, it is not working. Taking the fuse out may need someone to link up to the ECU to reactivate it but for sure if you take the fuse out and the airbag light comes on, it is inoperative.

I double checked with mechanic friend.

Thor 01-03-10 02:47 PM

Boom

Nick is too kind, but I just asked one of my 'chaps' who owns a Disco 1 himself and he said, yes, but. Removing the fuse prevents power getting to the ECU of the air bag, and it is the lack of power at that ECU which makes the lamp come on.

He says the way to permanently disable the air bag is as follows :

1) Remove the Positive and Negative leads from the battery to completely disconnect it.
2) WAIT HALF AN HOUR
3) Take the four bolts from the back of the steering wheel, which retain the air-bag unit.
4) Lift out the air bag unit and disconnect the plug of the wiring.
5) Tape up the plug on the lead from the air bag unit so that the pins in it cannot possibly connect to anything.
6) Reassemble the unit to the steering wheel with the four bolts.
7) Drive away confidently knowing the bag can't go off.

He also said that it is unwise to test the pins in the air bag wiring loom for continuity, using a meter. The voltage applied is enough to make the air bag go off :(

Thor.

Kevin H 03-03-10 10:02 AM

Thanks Greg and JD.

I had already removed the fuse.

Incidentally, there was no fault being indicated. When I had the steering box replaced 12-18 mths ago they had trouble getting the steering wheel back on. I was hanging around waiting as the workshop had officially closed and they showed me the problem - I can't clearly remember the details, but it was something to do with a component behind the steering wheel to do with the air bag. When it wasn't properly in place the steering wheel made a sort of ratchety sound when turning. I do remember the mechanic saying that it was important that they got it right because there was a risk that the air bag could go off when it wasn't supposed to. The steering wheel has just started making the sound again! I recognised it immediately.

I would rather remove the airbag to be sure it can't go off, although I don't think there are four bolts behind my steering wheel ....

What about the air bag on the passenger side? - should I remove that one too?

Regards,
Kevin

Nick Challacombe 03-03-10 10:31 AM

Hi Kevin,
I am glad you found Thors advice helpful!
Nick

Kevin H 08-03-10 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Challacombe (Post 2656)
Hi Kevin,
I am glad you found Thors advice helpful!
Nick

Hi Nick,
I hope you are enjoying your job as Thor's personal assistant!
Kevin