Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Other Bristol engined cars

Other Bristol engined cars Arnolt, AC, Frazer Nash, Cooper, Lister, Lotus, Tojeiro

Original Tires

Old 13-07-21, 12:49 AM

Default Original Tires

Were the factory tires on the 54 AB's radial design or bias ply? In the original books it says the size was 5.50X16 which would lead me to believe they were bias ply but can't find anything definitive.
Old 13-07-21, 05:42 AM

They were cross-ply, which is not quite the same as "bias-ply" which tends to be an American method of construction.
Old 13-07-21, 05:00 PM

According to the shop manual, the size was 5.50-16. My car no longer has the original tires. The tires I installed new in the 1970s are 6.00-16 which fit fine. They are bias ply tires with tubes (the originals had tubes). I did not record the brand of the originals, but the shop manual mentions Michelin twice. According to the internet, "cross ply" and "bias ply" is just different names for the same design.
Old 14-07-21, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Simmons View Post
According to the shop manual, the size was 5.50-16. My car no longer has the original tires. The tires I installed new in the 1970s are 6.00-16 which fit fine. They are bias ply tires with tubes (the originals had tubes). I did not record the brand of the originals, but the shop manual mentions Michelin twice. According to the internet, "cross ply" and "bias ply" is just different names for the same design.
On motorcycles bias ply tyres are directional whereas cross ply can be fitted either way around.

Cross ply tyres makes handling 'interesting' while radial tyres stick to the road much better.
Old 18-07-21, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the replies, I do see where Michelin is mention twice in the manual but nothing definitive. If I decide to show the car in the AACA I will need to document radials as factory or the point deduction is too severe get a first.