Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion

Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion About the company, clubs, car owners, and Bristol discussion not specific to the 6,8 or 10 cyl cars.

Non-BOC Association

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 13-02-12, 01:15 AM
geo geo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orkney
Posts: 102
Default Non-BOC Association

I got a strange posting from the BOC enquiring if I had received an

unsolicited copy of a magazine and membership form have been sent to a number of our members by an Association that has no links to the Bristol Owners' Club

I couldn't find a mention of this on this site and wondered what it was all about?

George
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 13-02-12, 07:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: York
Posts: 812
Default

It's probably to do with the other Bristol car club BODA , that specialises in sourcing and reproducing hard to find parts for Bristol cars.

As Shakespeare said " Much ado about nothing " :-)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 13-02-12, 11:03 AM
geo geo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orkney
Posts: 102
Default

Thanks Greg,

I wonder if it will be as useful as this site?

George
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 13-02-12, 12:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Thanks Greg,

I wonder if it will be as useful as this site?

George
Regarding the group's usefulness, it is different to this forum in that they have a strong emphasis on getting parts at reasonable prices; for example I have just got a set of 411 windscreen and rear window rubbers at price significantly different to what Bristol were quoting.

I think that with the demise of Bristol Cars BOC is changing and really there aren't enough Bristols out there to justify 2 clubs and at least 3 forums (fori? fora?)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 13-02-12, 12:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: York
Posts: 812
Default

What could be possibly as useful as this site !

BODA are having a lot of new parts made -- I bought 406 windscreen rubbers that are unavailable anywhere else and obtained information on the indicator stalk for a 411.- This alone made the membership worthwhile along with some superb technical information. I believe an annual Concours and other events will be arranged too.

I think most BODA members are also members of the BOC because the BOC has superb reference material in different areas and the Concours events are well run as well as the various regional club events and excursions.

I think for ease of use and for finding information this is by far the best forum.

It seems we Bristol owners are very well catered for and may soon have a 2 LITRE, V8 and ELECTRIC section !!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 13-02-12, 05:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Redditch, Worcester, England
Posts: 40
Default

I first became a member of the BOC in 1969 and the strong ethos of the club then was to help members keep their cars on the road. This has changed considerably over the years and the new club BODA is basically returning to this ethos.

The development of spares sources has become very important since the demise of Bristol Cars and there is concern amongst owners as to prospects of obtaining parts and technical expertise. This side of the BOC seems to have been basically ignored to a greater degree but there are those of us without endless funds to wander around the world and bore the pants of everyone with their stories.

I did not renew my BOC membership last year. Sad but the club was basically of little use to members like me. Ad hoc publications of the Bulletin, great though it was, did not suit and I prefer the more regular publication of BODAcious magazine, which will no doubt get even better and bigger as the new club develops.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-12, 01:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
I got a strange posting from the BOC enquiring if I had received an

unsolicited copy of a magazine and membership form have been sent to a number of our members by an Association that has no links to the Bristol Owners' Club

I couldn't find a mention of this on this site and wondered what it was all about?

George
I received a copy of this which was puzzling. I suppose BOC are rightfully concerned as to how they got these details as I didn't surrender them.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-12, 01:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London UK
Posts: 63
Default membership details

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfoz View Post
I received a copy of this which was puzzling. I suppose BOC are rightfully concerned as to how they got these details as I didn't surrender them.
Your details are available to anyone who looks in the BOC white book of members' details.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-12, 04:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: York
Posts: 812
Default

I have often seen old copies of the " white book " for sale on ebay and even bought some of the very old ones from the 60's, when the club was Bristol/BMW.
I would me more concerned about this scenario than well meaning Bristol owners informing other owners of something that will be useful to them.

I guess that once something is printed, it's virtually impossible to keep it out of the public domain. There is an option to have all your details confidential when you join the BOC. , so it's a bit silly to complain about people using your details when you provided them and opted to make them public!! So Jimfoz , you did surrender them to allow other BOC members to use them and contact you, and that's what happened.

Last edited by GREG; 03-03-12 at 04:20 PM. Reason: bad cold
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 28-03-12, 01:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG View Post
I have often seen old copies of the " white book " for sale on ebay and even bought some of the very old ones from the 60's, when the club was Bristol/BMW.
I would me more concerned about this scenario than well meaning Bristol owners informing other owners of something that will be useful to them.

I guess that once something is printed, it's virtually impossible to keep it out of the public domain. There is an option to have all your details confidential when you join the BOC. , so it's a bit silly to complain about people using your details when you provided them and opted to make them public!! So Jimfoz , you did surrender them to allow other BOC members to use them and contact you, and that's what happened.
I haven't complained, but BOC might be concerned about their situation in terms of data protection which may be why they sent this email.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:28 PM.


This is the live site

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2