Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion

Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion About the company, clubs, car owners, and Bristol discussion not specific to the 6,8 or 10 cyl cars.

Free speedo check !

Old 01-12-10, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Challacombe View Post
Â.
Very bad luck bkz411, luck it is too,
Have you ever met anybody done by Specs.
Â.
By the way Greg, are you now a Senior member or did Hugh demote you when he found how young you were :-), Perhaps now that you are over 250 postings you will be reinstated.Â.
Â.
Looks like I will be buying a new Speedo cable from BCS from the postings, thanks for the info. I will have to do it whilst replacing my clock. Its too cold in the garage at the moment.
Â.
Nick
No probs Nic, but worth just removing the cable from the speedo head and doing the funnel and oil first - nothing to lose and will probably fix it if not stretched to far.

Old 02-12-10, 10:54 PM

Default free speedo check

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGSchmitt View Post
The "WD" is for Water Displacement, which WD-40
does very well, but it should not be considered
as a long-term lubricating agent.

Bob
For what it is worth - I have it on good authority that WD40 is not owned by the original makers and some time back the quality was allowed to become poor. Apparently it is ' thinner ' than it was originally and this is a cause of it not lasting as long after application for lubricating purposes.

Dave dale.
Old 03-12-10, 03:38 AM

Default free speedo check

I've found Marvel Mystery Oil to be an excellent low viscosity lubricating oil for cables, door hinges, throttle linkages, and the like.

John
Old 03-12-10, 11:04 AM

Replacing the cable gives temporary relief and lasts until the lubrication fails. Grease is too thick and WD40 obviously too light. Mystery Marvel looks worth a try. Is it the recommended by factory lube? P
Old 25-12-10, 10:45 AM

Default Merry Christmas All

Thinking of Greg's original posting: I do have to say that I thought with their long literary tradition, the Welsh would have been more creative than these excuses:

The list of top excuses included:

"I was trying to sell my car and the person who was clocked by a speed camera was test driving the vehicle."
"My ex still has keys to my car and keeps taking it without asking. I haven't reported this to the police."
"My budgie was sick and I was rushing it to the vet."
"I had a dodgy curry and had to speed to the nearest toilet."
"An ice-scraper fell out of a compartment in the door and jammed the pedal."
"I picked up a hitchhiker who said they liked my car so I let them drive it. I don't have their name or address."
"My car was stolen overnight and returned to the same point. I didn't report this to the police as the first thing I knew of the matter was when a speeding ticket came through my door."
"A strong gust of wind pushed my car over the limit."
"As I joined the motorway, my car was dragged along in the slip stream of a truck. My brakes aren't very good, so I had to keep pace with it."
The Go Safe manager added: "People can make as many excuses as they like, but the simple fact is that if you don't break the speed limit, you won't get a ticket."

Salutations of the Season
Old 25-12-10, 12:58 PM

Default Shaggy-dog speedo readings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
... literary tradition, the Welsh would have been more creative than these excuses:

The list of top excuses included
I'm tempted to add the top shaggy-dog account, the one about the spider's world-wide-web (I exaggerate but only very slightly) which, according to the right-honourable accused-in-the-dock, tied the speedo needle to rest-n-recovery position, yer 'onour, "and the verry-slight movement past 30 MPH was all it took to free the critter's shackles....yer 'onour" but I won't deviate that far off-topic.... I'd much rather remind all UK-n-World readers that in Court, even as late as 2009...Common Law still Rulez... and while The Accused might find it's hard to get away with Murder, all Official recriminations are Fair Game for a Creative-Commons Court traffic-misdemeanour appearance....believe it or Ripley not.

Watch this short video in awe.

This vid was/is highly illegal under court regs, BTW, no bat-fone-cams aloud they said... you are privileged to find out how the court wigs cave in in face of such cunningly-serious opposition. NB The key lies in getting the case heard under "Common Law" priovisions, whereupon the person appearing for the Named defendant (who "may or may not be present among the Public witnesses here in court") can demand the case be heard by a jury of 12 of the accused's fellow citizens.

It all becomes (only-slightly) clearer....

YouTube - English Freeman In Gloucester Court Part 1

MikeR