Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion

Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion About the company, clubs, car owners, and Bristol discussion not specific to the 6,8 or 10 cyl cars.

Bristol Parts Supply

Old 26-01-10, 09:27 AM
ex Member

Default Bristol Parts Supply

Admin note: As this post triggered a more general discussion about Bristol parts supply, I have copied it to this new discussion thread.

I have certainly seen 412 lights in the factory when picking up the car before. But I imagine they keep scarce items like that for those that get their cars serviced with them...
Philippa
Old 26-01-10, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLF799R View Post
I have certainly seen 412 lights in the factory when picking up the car before. But I imagine they keep scarce items like that for those that get their cars serviced with them...
Philippa
So you imagine that Bristol would effectively resort to blackmail to increase their service business?

That's outrageous!

For the majority of Bristol owners it is not practical for them to have their cars serviced by Bristol. But even if it were practical, most classic car owners like to work on their own cars. I'm sure Bristol appreciate this and would not resort to such devious tactics as you suggest.
Old 26-01-10, 02:10 PM
ex Member

What a surprise - we disagree...
Let's leave it at that!
Philippa

Last edited by Kevin H; 27-01-10 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary artefacts from previous posts, yet again!
Old 26-01-10, 02:10 PM

It is not outrageous! What would be outrageous would be to sell a rare item to any Tom, Dick or Harry and leave a service customer who will not only be loyal to the company but have them fitted as well.
If supplies are plentifull I expect they will sell them, do not forget they restore cars themselves.
Your attitude is just not business like.
Nick

Last edited by Kevin H; 27-01-10 at 02:19 AM.
Old 26-01-10, 03:42 PM

I acquired some new lights for my Beaufighter from Bristol Cars. What's more
they were personally delivered to me at the Bristol Concours by Toby
Silverton, and had been brought there in the very limited luggage space of
an Arnolt Bristol. They weren't particularly cheap, but neither are lights
for modern cars.

James
Old 26-01-10, 04:40 PM

I do agree with Philippa , I dare not do otherwise, Nick!

Last edited by Kevin H; 27-01-10 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Removed (massive amounts of) unnecessary artefacts from previous posts
Old 26-01-10, 09:09 PM
ex Member

Nick - That is the attitude! The trouble, Kevin doesn't know how scary I am in the flesh so he can contradict anything and everything I say without any danger of bumping into me one day! LOL

James - Wow, that really is customer service!!

Philippa
Old 26-01-10, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Nick - That is the attitude! The trouble, Kevin doesn't know how scary I am in the flesh so he can contradict anything and everything I say without any danger of bumping into me one day! LOL

Philippa
Well, I know for a fact that Phillipa has made some very significant and important contacts...the mind boggles.

Despite her sometimes flowery ways, she should not be trifled with.

L.
Old 26-01-10, 09:50 PM

I have checked with the charities commission and Bristol aren't registered. Apparently they are a business?

If they are holding onto rare parts for cars they are repairing and rebuilding themselves ....Bravo. After all they have had to buy/make them, pay for them and store them for up to 63 years. Why would any company clear it's inventory out to a point where it can't look after their direct client. That said I understand they do go to great lengths to acquire or make new parts so everyone gets looked after.

On a happy note (for me), I ordered a new trick engine from Bristol today for my 412. It gets installed at the factory next month. I am very excited, even if my bank manager isn't.

Paul

Last edited by Kevin H; 27-01-10 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary artefacts from previous posts
Old 27-01-10, 04:00 AM

Wink Bristol parts policy

I "imagine" that Bristol cars have many policies but what are the facts regarding parts supply ?
Old 27-01-10, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Nick - That is the attitude!
That "attitude" is very short sighted.

For a start it says anyone who won't or can't realistically have their car serviced by us is effectively a lower class of customer.

It also says "we may refuse to sell some vital spares to you unless you have your car serviced by us".

That's a very negative message for aspiring Bristol owners which can only be detrimental to the marque in the long term.

Let's hope Philippa is talking out of her tailpipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Challacombe View Post
What would be outrageous would be to sell a rare item to any Tom, Dick or Harry and leave a service customer who will not only be loyal to the company but have them fitted as well.
If supplies are plentifull I expect they will sell them, do not forget they restore cars themselves.
Your attitude is just not business like.
Nick
What is not "business like" is running a car manufacture, restoration and service business which relies on a finite supply of vital parts.

Do you seriously think Bristol would get to the stage where they say, "we have enough headlights to restore two more 412s, then that's it, the end" ?

Or, "we have half a dozen 412 headlights left and they're getting hard to come by so we won't sell them to any casual customers in case Paul or Philippa need one, or in case we get a 412 restoration job come in".
Old 27-01-10, 09:48 AM

Okay, even if Bristol cars are going to be very possessive of their 412 light inventory, I can't understand why these lights are so hard to find. Surely there are still quite a number of Opel Rekords of the 1972-77 era still kicking around in driveways and scrapyards especially in Germany, and also South Africa and Iran (pre-revolution) where they were produced as a Chevrolet. I don't have prod numbers for the D series, but nearly 1.5million each of C and E series were produced so it can't be far off this.

Even assuming 95-98% of the cars have been destroyed by now that leaves perhaps 50,000-100,000 still on the roads or a possible 100,000-200,000 headlamps! I saw a mint example for sale a couple of years ago for less than £2000, so a basket-case with complete front lights isn't going to be expensive even if you just want the headlamps. There is the slight issue of what you do with the rest of the car, though.

Just found a brand new one on ebay to labour the point. Okay it's only the left one and it has an indicator light (does the 412 have one?) but is only $99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OPEL-...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by jimfoz; 27-01-10 at 09:56 AM.
Old 27-01-10, 10:45 AM

Actually I think it is the rear lights tahr are the problem. They
are from a lancia beta. Not the longest lived vehicle.
Old 27-01-10, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdownplace View Post
Actually I think it is the rear lights tahr are the problem. They
are from a lancia beta. Not the longest lived vehicle.
Rear lights? 'Nuff said then. I knew someone who had a Montecarlo from new. It started rusting as soon as it left the showroom....
Old 27-01-10, 11:15 AM

Default ebay item

Jimfox is correct that a lot of Rekords were produced. But the lights are different LHD/RHD and not so many Rekords are the latter. (The then contemporary medium Vauxhall was not the same package.) I think the one on ebay will be LHD. As for BCL, they are always helpful as can be over parts with a little tip here and there as to how to do it. I know they`d like to see my car more often but I`ve never felt discriminated against! And, yes, the Lancia part is very scarce and not very durable in the first place. Any one planning a trip to Italy ... do thay have scrapyards there? P
Old 28-01-10, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfoz View Post
Rear lights? 'Nuff said then. I knew someone who had a Montecarlo from new. It started rusting as soon as it left the showroom....
I think its only the Beta Spider that shares the lights with the 412.

(Although the Monte Carlo lights were also used on the Bitter SC, and are (or were a couple of years ago) available new from the Monte Hospital.)
Old 14-09-16, 05:42 PM

Hello,

I have just bought a bristol 412 and I am looking for some RHD front headlights I know they are hard to find, but could anyone help to find one or point me in the right direction, they normally come form a Opel Rekord D.

Many thanks

Tim