Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion

Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion About the company, clubs, car owners, and Bristol discussion not specific to the 6,8 or 10 cyl cars.

Toby Silverton interview in Octane

Old 10-01-10, 10:34 AM

Default Toby Silverton interview in Octane

There's an interview with Toby Silverton in the Feb 2010 issue of Octane (issue #80).
Old 10-01-10, 01:15 PM

Why not scan and print for those who don't see OCTANE?
Old 10-01-10, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning l View Post
Why not scan and print for those who don't see OCTANE?
Because I don't own the copyright. If it was an old issue which was no longer available I would consider scanning it, but this is the current issue of Octane which can be bought in the shops for about $10.
Old 14-01-10, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Howard View Post
Because I don't own the copyright. If it was an old issue which was no longer available I would consider scanning it, but this is the current issue of Octane which can be bought in the shops for about $10.
Copyright has nothing to do with it, at least in the USA, Kevin, because you wouldn't be scanning it for financial gain or commercial use.

Are you telling me you have never copied a newspaper or magazine clipping for a friend? Ever? I sincerely hope you are not.

And, to gainsay your argument -"If it was an old issue which was no longer available I would consider scanning it," being "unavailable" does not, per se, negate a copyright. Copyrights continue on many out-of-print publications.

FYI, Octane is not readily available on US newstands, especially outside of such markets as New York, or Los Angeles.
Old 14-01-10, 08:40 PM

Nemme mind, Kev, me mate, a friend in Old Blighty has obliged me.

Ta!
Old 15-01-10, 03:45 AM

Quote:
And, to gainsay your argument -"If it was an old issue which was no longer available I would consider scanning it," being "unavailable" does not, per se, negate a copyright.
I never said it does (negate copyright), I'm just saying what I would and would not consider doing.
Old 15-01-10, 08:50 AM

This is possibly the first (and perhaps only) time I will leap to Kevin's defence but he is right in this instance. These magazines rely on cover sales and do allow for world wide distribution and if we scanned articles at will on forums then it would cannibalise their sales here in the UK as well as overseas to Octanes detriment, hence the existence of copyright.

In due course Octane will publish the interview online for free access, at a point where they don't expect any further revenue from that article.

The argument is wait, or pay.
Old 15-01-10, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Howard View Post
I never said it does (negate copyright), I'm just saying what I would and would not consider doing.
You led off your response by citing "copyright." That absolutely shows that, in your mind, "copyright" was a very important. At least for a new publication.

And, then, in so many words, you stated that, under certain conditions, i.e. lack of availability due to being out-of-print, you might consider copying, which could still violate "copyright."

There is nothing bad about declining to copy, but let us be consistent in our thinking.

So far as newsstand sales are concerned, where there is no chance to buy from the newsstand, there can be no loss of newsstand sales. People are not likely to go to some large city, hundreds of miles away, to look for a copy.

Indeed, it is arguable that, by someone scanning and making the article available to persons who have no reasonable chance to buy a newsstand issue, someone might decide to subscribe, which would be a plus for the publication.

I am very grateful to my benefactor for sending me a scanned copy. I enjoyed it very much (since, on the occasions when I was with Toby Silverton, I hadn't realized that he always wore mis-matched socks; how could I have continued our friendship without knowing that?), and I can't imagine, that, under the circumstances, the publisher would be annoyed by my having received it.
Old 15-01-10, 10:30 PM

Quote:
.... I can't imagine, that, under the circumstances, the publisher would be annoyed by my having received it.
Maybe so, but I believe the publisher wouldn't be very happy about it being published on a web site which the whole world can access, when most people can go out and buy the magazine from their local news agent.

From my perspective, as the owner of this site and web server it sits on, (along with several of my business web sites), I have to pay a bit more attention to copyright than you do.
Old 15-01-10, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdownplace View Post
This is possibly the first (and perhaps only) time I will leap to Kevin's defence
That must have hurt

Next thing you know we'll have Philippa sticking up for me as well ...
Old 16-01-10, 12:40 AM

That must have hurt

Next thing you know we'll have Philippa sticking up for me as well ...
---End Quote---

Steady on old boy!!
Old 17-01-10, 10:29 AM

OK, we've endured a week of bickering over copyright law, but has anyone got anything interesting to say about the article?
Old 17-01-10, 11:32 AM

Yes, possibly.
Good to see that Bristol Cars is likely to survive for the interim. The inevitable succession of custodianship has happened and it's reassuring (from my point of view anyway) that the aviation links continue (Silverton's background). There's no doubt that the touch of eccentricity and the discreetly bespoke nature of Bristols are substantial portions of the reasons we are all attracted to them. This is all apart from the fact that we can reasonably expect to get into a Bristol, drive and arrive at the other end without suffering the indignity of breakdowns and other no-go confoundations that some other exotics are well known for! In 1979/80 and in the late eighties, I frequently passed the Bristol Showrooms and they always struck me as quaintly fitting the Bristol ethos perfectly and the article seems to confirm this today.

The publication Car (I think is was) had what seemed to be an even more interesting article on the service division and its 89 year-old manager - several copies of which my local newsagent had in stock. As luck would have it, I had forgotten my wallet and by the time I got back there two days later to get one, they had infuriatingly returned these back to the distributors so it looks as I've missed out there.

Incidently, I've ordered Christopher Balfour's new book. He's an excellent writer, a long-term owner of a 406 and well qualified to produce something on Bristol. It should be a good read and apart from the Brookland's Portfolio, it's the first Bristol book since the LJKS 'A Private Car'.
Old 17-01-10, 01:37 PM

You're absolutely right. It would be an infringement of copyright, period.
Andrew.
Old 17-01-10, 02:40 PM

Can anyone let me know the correct name of the Bristol aircraft I used to
fly to France in as a child in the early 60's, from Hurn Airport to
Cherbourg?
It took 3 cars and 12 passengers and had very strange wing cross-section
that was almost oval, and flapped up and down on take off?
I thought it was called a Bristol City, but I think I'm confused this with
some Cockney rhyming slang.
They had leather seats then, as did all cars at the time, maybe Lancaster
bombers too.
Rgds, Andrew.
Old 17-01-10, 02:57 PM

John Keighley...supposedly I am being mailed a copy of the CAR (also not available on any local magazine racks) article...assuming I get it, how could I best get you a copy of the article, if you would like one?

An interesting reply from the subject of the OCTANE article, after I emailed him that I had it, and enjoyed reading it and hearing about his odd socks, among other things:

"Hello there, LL,
I may have odd socks but they seem to be trying to portray me as an eccentric! How unfair. TS"

You can rest assured TS's tongue was planted firmly in his cheek when he replied.

What caught my eye in the O story were:

1. "The product line had been essentially static for years." - DD, editorializing.

2. "We've also tried to make the cars to a higher quality and more efficiently, and a lot of quality has been added where you can't see it." -DD, quoting TS.

3. Addressing "the adversarial relationship that had grown up between Tony Crook and the media... (DD, editorializing.)"
"Tony was so secretive that it always seemed he was covering up something bad, and therefore even people who are interested in Bristols are often quite sceptical about us; at times we've had journalists write bad reviews of the cars who have never sat in one." DD, quoting TS.

4."Personally, the only questions I won't answer are production figures...The truth is most years our production is set by how many cars we can physically make." - DD, quoting TS.
[DD = article author, Dale Drinnon; TS = Toby Silverton]

I have read my Balfour book twice, very carefully, and as a newcomer to Bristols (21 months since first hearing of the marque), I have enjoyed it tremendously.
Old 17-01-10, 05:18 PM

Hi Rubbond
Probably a Bristol Freighter, could have been Silver City Airways.
Old 17-01-10, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbond View Post
Can anyone let me know the correct name of the Bristol aircraft I used to fly to France in as a child in the early 60's, from Hurn Airport to Cherbourg?
Rgds, Andrew.
Balfour's book refers to a Silver City Airways Bristol Freighter on pg 113, also showing photographs of the first 400 shipped to Sweden in such a craft, pg 40, as well as a Beutler 406 being delivered to the UK, pg 241, in the same aircraft in 1957 (photo pg 278..

There is another reference to transporting a car to Europe for Tony Crook's 1950 Montlhery testing on pg 176.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...s_wayfarer.jpg"
will show you a couple of drawings of the basic aircraft.

Balfour also makes reference, pg 8, to "...Wayfarer, the passenger version of the Freighter..."

Last edited by Kevin H; 17-01-10 at 10:12 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 17-01-10, 08:21 PM

Duplicated posting

Last edited by browning l; 17-01-10 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Duplicated posting
Old 17-01-10, 10:27 PM

Bob Schmitt started a new thread here which I took the liberty of renaming Bristol Aircraft

Kevin