Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion

Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion About the company, clubs, car owners, and Bristol discussion not specific to the 6,8 or 10 cyl cars.

New book on Dudley Hobbs

Old 05-12-18, 08:08 PM

Default New book on Dudley Hobbs

Had some very good news from Michael Barton yesterday, it seems that the next book that Butterfield Press will be publishing will also be Bristol related this time focusing on their Chief Designer Mr Dudley Hobbs. Hopefully the book will be out around late spring so I have already started dropping hints to the family about a late Christmas present.
Old 25-04-19, 06:41 PM

I attended the recent Heritage Trust meeting where among the speakers was Dr John Hobbs son of Bristol Cars long serving designer Mr Dudley Hobbs. John gave a very interesting and wide ranging talk about the evolution of draughting techniques from the early days into the computer aided design era with obvious reference to his fathers time with Bristol where he spent the longest part of his career with the Car Division later to become Bristol Cars. This is all going to be the subject of the latest Butterfield press book which John has written, Design and the Bristol Car, I am really looking forward to this book especially having had the opportunity to look at copies of the original design drawings for the 603 which John had on display.

Full details of the book are now on the Butterfield website and it is due out in June of this year, it is really nice to see a British car designer get the credit they deserve for a change as far too many seem to be back room staff compared to the engineers and it must be fairly unique that one man has been able to develop so many different models over so many years yet retain the essential DNA of the Bristol Car.

Last edited by Geoff Kingston; 25-04-19 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-10-19, 10:28 AM

Default Book now out! Good reviews!

The Dudley Hobbs book is now out. I have received my copy and it is very interesting.

I note there’s an excellent review in the November 2019 issue of Classic and Sportscar magazine. Definitely worth a read. Better still, get yourself a copy of the book. You won’t be disappointed!