Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion

Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion About the company, clubs, car owners, and Bristol discussion not specific to the 6,8 or 10 cyl cars.

New book about Tony Crook

Old 28-05-18, 09:46 AM

Default New book about Tony Crook

Michael Barton's new book Mr Bristol - The Remarkable Life of T A D Crook is now available.
Full details are available on the publishers website www.butterfieldpress.co.uk
and I am looking forward to receiving my copy ordered last night.
Geoff.
Old 28-05-18, 06:53 PM

£300! (Or £325 or £1000+......)

Is that the ghost of Mr Crook I hear chortling agreement in the background?
Old 29-05-18, 10:59 AM

Shame about the price, it is probably an interesting read!

Thanks for the info., though.

George
Old 30-05-18, 03:26 AM

I have just received my copy of "Mr Bristol", but have not yet read the text fully. There seems to be hundreds of photos of Tony Crook racing various cars between 1946 - 1955 plus recent glossy coloured photos of some of his personal cars, now with other owners and the history of 15 of his most significant cars.

There is also a documented racing history of about 200 races between 14th July 1945 (in an Alfa 8C 2900B) to 20th August 1955 in a Cooper Bristol at the Goodwood 9 hour race.

Although expensive it is beautifully produced hard cover volume with a hard cardboard slipcase.
I look forward to reading it .

As a bonus I also received a small format 208 page book "Dreamers " by Cornelis van den Berg which covers his interview of TAD Crook , this should be interesting as well.

A must for many enthusiastic Bristolians

Geoff
Old 30-05-18, 04:16 PM

Default Mr Bristol book

I too received my copy today and I agree with everything that Geoff has written.

Anyone baulking at the price should compare it to the Palawan offerings - this is equal if not better quality! Furthermore, shipping is included in the price which can be a substantial saving.

A "must have" for any Bristol enthusiast at any price!

Luke
Old 31-05-18, 06:38 PM

Absolutely agree with Luke and Geoff's comments about this book and the accompanying book Dreamers.
Mr Bristol is a fascinating book wonderfully produced and the racing photographs are some of the best I have seen . I spent several hours reading parts of the book and looking at all the photographs and delving into bits of the appendices after it arrived yesterday, I found it very hard to put down and I know that many more happy hours are going to be spent going over the parts I have not read and revisiting all the wonderful photographs.
This morning went reading most of dreamers which is an excellent companion to the main book and which I hope to finish reading this evening.
If you miss this you will regret it.
Geoff.