Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion

Bristol News & Other Bristol Discussion About the company, clubs, car owners, and Bristol discussion not specific to the 6,8 or 10 cyl cars.

Tony Crook R.I.P.

Old 04-02-14, 07:21 PM

Default Tony Crook R.I.P.

Love him or not , what a man and what a life ! R.I.P. Tony Crook and thanks for the cars and so much more.
Old 04-02-14, 07:56 PM

Love him or loathe him, I am glad he existed. He was not always easy to get on with but he was one of life's individual characters and should certainly be celebrated as such and his passing is sad.

As I drive my 401 I am very thankful that Bristol Cars existed and have owned a Bristol since 1968. Hell, that's 46 years!
Old 04-02-14, 08:42 PM

Unfortunately I never met Mr Crook - my interest in Bristol Cars has come about only in the last couple of years but having devoured so much information about him and his life's work I almost felt I knew him personally.

Sadly I am unable to afford such a car as a Bristol at the present time but I shall always think of him every time I take my lesser vehicle out purely for the pleasure of it.

Think of the races they will have up there now Tony has joined them.
Old 04-02-14, 09:51 PM

When I see how honours are handed out like confetti nowadays to pathological liars / criminals that write plagiarised books ( Archer ) and people that can ride a bike fast ! It's a real shame that someone like Tony wasn't recognised for keeping the longevity of a British icon going ! Hey ho - but I hope there is someone out there that can write an accurate auto biography of him and share the full story. I'm especially interested in his roots from Manchester and the early years leading up to Bristol ownership.

Last edited by GREG; 05-02-14 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-02-14, 10:09 PM

Default A life so lived

I count myself fortunate to have bought a car from Tony Crook in person from his showroom in 1993. In the 20 years that followed the 411S4 that he sold me put on over 100,000 miles . He never forgot who I was or what had been done to the car. There was always a sense of playful mischief in his manner that made the dealings a pleasure. Staying true to what you value is one of lives challenges, and Mr Crook was a great exemplar of a life so lived. Thank you and God Bless
Old 14-02-14, 05:40 PM

Hi
The BBC recognised Tony in todays Last Word programme.
BBC Radio 4 - Last Word, Prof Stuart Hall, Jean Babilée, Tony Crook, Shirley Temple Black
Old 14-02-14, 07:13 PM

Default even Top Gear

As I have posted elsewhere, good to see that even Top Gear have kind words to say regarding Tony Crooks achievements and character

In memory of Tony Crook: 1920-2014 - BBC Top Gear

It would be nice if more of those "stories" could be captured somehow