Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > Bristol Ephemera

Bristol Ephemera Automobilia / collectibles associated with Bristol

Bristol Articles Magazine Archive

Old 31-08-12, 04:02 PM

Default Bristol Articles Magazine Archive

As far as I'm aware, no-one has yet started an archive for articles about Bristol Cars - open to EVERYONE, regardles of club membership or none. There must have been a large number over the years from the 1940's onwards.

I have about a dozen or so and have started uploading them into "ISSUU". My TRIAL uploads can be viewed at:-

1974 Mar-Apr Old Motor

Thoro & Class Oct 1994

I hope the links work but it will be a while before I can sort out a website with links to specific articles by model or whatever. I would welcome articles as .pdf's or .jpegs. Between us we can no doubt create a large archive that we can all access.

Bob W
Old 01-09-12, 11:30 AM

Default Publications on the Web

Hi Bob -

This is a great idea and that's a web service I did not know about. What resolution are you scanning at? The one pub I looked at was a little fuzzy.

Compare that to http://tinyurl.com/cwryp6z which is on my carlibrary.org Frazer Nash digital library. It uses the free Greenstone and Ubuntu software and runs right from an old computer on my desktop.

Just now I'm working on a library/collection for a major car museum. It's likely to be the first real, working library of its type.

Bob
Old 01-09-12, 04:00 PM

Angry Making Copies of road tests available online

Dear Bob,
The BOC Heritage trust has been gathering road tests for a number of years from both British and international publications.
It is our intention to make these available to all those who subscribe the annual 5 pounds by club membership. But there is a big problem with copyright law which does not permit reproduction within a 70 year period. You would need consent from the author of each individual article. There are some exceptions e.g. for educational purposes but there is a risk that the publisher will feel that you copied something that he could have made a profit from e.g. in a volume of reprints of old car reviews.
We are actively looking into this, so please give me a call for more information all the best
Stefan
Old 04-09-12, 12:57 PM

Hi Stefan,

Yes, I am aware of some copyright issues but what about dead authors and defunct magazines. Also, and no offence intended, andI mean no offence, but I have been contributing to the heritage trust for some years now and have seen nothing for it.

I'm sure that items are being acquired but you should really show something for it rather than keeping us going with blind faith. I note there is nothing on the BODA website and of course there in no heritage website.

Also, is the heritage trust an independant organisation or merely part of the BOC?
Old 05-09-12, 01:47 PM

Hi
I wonder, does the copyright clock start all over again when Brooklands Portfolios, for instance, reprint an article from the 40's?
Old 05-09-12, 06:24 PM

Default Bristol Ephemera

Quote:
Originally Posted by penman View Post
Hi
I wonder, does the copyright clock start all over again when Brooklands Portfolios, for instance, reprint an article from the 40's?
You guys may find the answers to your questions by studying
Intellectual Property Office - Copyright

Dave Dale.
Old 06-09-12, 05:57 AM

I would bet that the most common action by copyright owners is to send a takedown notice or a demand to that effect to the infringer, and in the case of on-line infringement, to the company that hosts the web server.

At the end of the day it costs money to take legal action against someone, and most copyright owners will not take legal action against an infringer unless the damages or royalties that could be recouped are substantial, and there is a very strong chance of winning. Otherwise it would not make financial sense to pursue an infringer.

Furthermore, if you are going to sue someone it's best to make sure they can actually pay up if you win!

The matter is of course complicated further for the copyright owner by jurisdiction issues (copyright law is different from one jurisdiction to the next) and where the copyright infringer is actually located - it's not easy to sue someone who lives in another country.

In the case of road tests or other articles that were published many years ago, the chances of actually being sued would be extremely slim. IMHO
Old 06-09-12, 07:59 AM

Further on the topic of copyright, I just had a chat with a friend who has been an editor & publisher with a large publishing firm and is now an author and lecturers in writing.

He agrees with my view that copyright infringement rarely ends up in court.

He also said that attribution is very important and he suggested that it is made clear who should be contacted by anyone claiming copyright.

While this doesn't offer any protection per se, it shows a willingness to acknowledge the copyright owner and receive a notice from the copyright owner.
Old 06-09-12, 08:07 AM

I completely agree with Kevin

Maybe if the HT , BOC and BODA are afraid of the copyright consequences they should send copies of everything to Bob to show on line for us all to enjoy.

I don't believe Bob would be sued either.
Old 06-09-12, 09:30 AM

Also a lot of the HT articles have been purchased from ebay where sellers have reproduced the images / articles in order to offer them for sale ! I'm sure no sellers on ebay have been prosecuted for displaying magazine articles :-)
Old 06-09-12, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyweaf View Post

I have about a dozen or so and have started uploading them into "ISSUU". My TRIAL uploads can be viewed at:-

1974 Mar-Apr Old Motor

Thoro & Class Oct 1994

I hope the links work
They don't but I managed to find them. They're a bit fuzzy, and they're in flash! Did you upload them in flash or does ISSUU convert them?
Old 06-09-12, 09:49 AM

Well they worked to begin with ! Maybe Bob has got Copywrightphobia and taken them down ! Sad if that's the case -- if I knew how too, I would do it.
Old 06-09-12, 10:50 AM

They are here Issuu - Documents
Old 06-09-12, 11:10 AM

I like the image of a 401 on the front of "Old Motor" - March/April 1974. It shows a 401 on the front page that uses the towing holes in the over riders to support a badge bar and spot light ! Never seen that done on a Bristol before but thought of doing similar

Thanks Bob -- I will try and send interesting stuff I have to you

Last edited by GREG; 06-09-12 at 11:19 AM. Reason: dizlegssia
Old 07-09-12, 05:34 PM

Nope, I don't have copyright phobia and of course there is no money involved just the cost of purchasing the issues and articles as they come up. BUT ALL DONATIONS ARE WELCOME. For me it's time difficulties but as someone else is now doing their own thing, we lose the "central" source.

That's the way of things I suppose but I will keep uploading. I have asked for permission from a "recent" article but no reply. I've still uploaded it and of course as has been pointed out, they appear on EBAY and elsewhere.

I have about another 15 - 20 to upload and this will have to be gradually done. It takes time to try and improve the quality as some of the early ones are on poor paper and are not very sharp.

I put in the created front page to keep the split images on matched pages facing each other. For these I have yet to develop putting the pages together with no gap in the middle but Issuu assure me it can be done. However, there is still a shadow on the join. I assume YUDU will be the same but time will tell.
Old 08-09-12, 05:40 AM

Having re-read my post, I just wanted to make it crystal clear, the donations I refer to are articles to upload. .pdf's and .jpg's are preferrred.

Also the link to my Library is Issuu - Bobbyweaf's Profile, which is of course different to my original trial links.

There must be a large number of articles in existance and of course adverts. I have well over 200 of these but nowhere near as many as listed on Bristol Adverts - British car brochures ( www.car-brochures.eu )

I also collect model cars and whilst I more to list, they can be seen at http://www.firstgearcollector.com/bristols.html I just love enything Bristol and I've been an owner since 1968, when I was a lad!