Thread: B400 voltage
View Single Post
Old 10-06-19, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEU186F View Post
...... Dynamo and battery, both of which have their individual characteristics.
That's the challenge. Often there is a hint that regulator and dynamo must be compatible.

Quote:
If you know somebody skilled in the art of setting up the Lucas regulator get them to do it. They'll make it look easy, which it isn't.

But I think you're in Germany, if so it seems unlikely that you will be able to find that particular talent.
I'd found one for my MG but he was out of talent and a little bit fraudy.

Quote:
So what I suggest you do is to secure a copy of a workshop manual for a contemporary British car, a Haynes manual for a Morris Minor perhaps, and follow its instructions as well as you can.
I have manuals for MM and MG - but both show different voltage values for some tests. E.g. 15.9 to 16.5 for MM and 15.6 to 16.2 V at 30°C for MG.

Because it is a range it will be approach - but knowing the particular values for the existing box would give a better feeling.

Quote:

But before you start on all this do just check that all the screws securing the wiring to and from the regulator unit are tight. Copper creeps over time when under pressure and you may find that some wires are now virtually open circuit.
That's what I've done before but I will repeat that step for sure.