View Single Post
Old 04-03-18, 10:54 AM

Some confusion here, I think.

"Both ends of the outer rod are left handed". So when you slacken the lock nuts and rotate the outer tie bar whilst the rod ends are mounted on the car one end screws in at the same rate as the other end screws out, so no adjustment occurs.

You ask why Amsteer should make a right hand threaded outer rod end (for a 411 when there are none on the car). They do but not for a 411. The 407, 408, 409 and 410 all use 5 right hand threaded ends and 1 left hand. The Austin Healy also needs a RH threaded end, which is probably why they are sold in pairs in Australia. I don't know why Bristols changed from predominately RH to LH.

The rod ends on the middle rod on the 407 to 410 cars are the same size as the outers. One wonders why Bristols changed to bigger ends on the middle rod on the 411 but your confirmation that they did explains why the Amsteer website lists a larger and more expensive rod end for Bristol on their website. It also explains my confusion earlier in this correspondence. I don't know what car or light truck shared these but you can get them from Amsteer.

Other readers may like to note that the outer rod ends (and the inners on the 407 to 410) are as used on the Healy 3000, not the earlier Healy