View Single Post
Old 03-03-18, 09:49 AM

Default tie rods

Finally sorted out most of my steering and tie rod end problems. My two left hand tie rod ends were worn and from the forum i discovered the company AM STEER.
They list left and right hand ends. I subsequently ordered a left and right hand threaded ends without first checking ( assumed I needed one of each). It turns out that on both ends of the outer rods the threads are left handed. Quite why this would be I cant guess. The question begs why would AM STEER make a right hand threaded end for a 411 when there are none on the car. The middle rod has a left and right handed ends but these are larger than the outer ends .Mine dont need replacing at this stage but does anyone have any idea what they maybe off?

The lead that Austin Healy 3000 rods fit the outer arms is infact correct . These are the ones from the center rod on the Healy but in Australia they come in pairs left and right only.

To adjust the toe in on the 411 you change the length of the center rod . What then is the purpose of the adjustable outer rods ?

I also discovered that the steering idler also acts as a steering damper. I filled it with oil and it now acts like a steering shocker.