View Single Post
Old 16-08-17, 10:11 PM

Default Bristols best kept secret is out.

There is a very good feature in the latest edition of Classic and Sportscar written by Martin Buckley setting out the case for the 603 which he regards as the most underrated and undervalued of the V8's. I have long been of the view that the 603 is one of the most significant Bristols as with the exception of the Beaufighter and Fighter its basic body design underpinned all the models that followed upto and including the Blenheim 3. The shape that evolved from the 406/407 managed about 17 years, the 603 eclipsed this by a significant margin managing to stamp its DNA on the next 32 to 33 years of production.
Despite what is suggested in the feature the 603 loaned for the test for the test was actually for sale for a very short period of time, this could have been down to the very reasonable asking price which I thought personally was too cheap especially as the S seems to the rarest 603 listed with the BOC, there are more E's listed despite what the article and Tony Crook used to say but both are eclipsed by the S2 which did seem to be produced in greater numbers.
I own a 603E and the 5.2 V8 is a very sweet running and reliable unit, I have tried out two Blenheims in the last year but as neither had the performance of my old 411/3 and had lost the design purity of the 603 I just could not justify the cost of an upgrade, I suppose if I did not have the 603 a deal would have been done but as I do that won't be on the cards unless I part with my 411.
Dudley Hobbs was very proud of the 603 and justifiably so, they are an easy car to maintain, not too difficult to restore as long as the structure is not too rusty and easy to upgrade to a later spec if that is what rocks your boat.
The only problem is that as the feature said they are much scarcer than people think, the secret is out so hopefully the unloved examples laid up needing work will soon get the attention and renovation they deserve, and if like me you own one don't sell it you will regret it!
Geoff.