View Single Post
Old 13-01-17, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibrator View Post
Hi Rob. Welcome to the Bristol world. I'm a huge fan of the 412, and I'm sure that having acquired one, you'll be delighted with it. As with all Bristol's values have risen. Not so many years ago, I knew of a really splendid 412 that £4,800.00 would have bought. In recent months what can only be described as a derelict Beaufighter with frontal accident damage, and thoroughly rotten made nearly that at auction. You'll need to consider your description of good and useable. In my view a good car will be in excess of £20,000.00, a useable car perhaps £12-15,000.00.

Corrosion is the big issue. Particular attention should be paid to the rollover structure. They can rot very badly there, as can the chassis, and the wing lockers. Mechanically they are straightforward and robust, but I'd commend a thorough review of the cooling system. Some parts can be challenging, front and rear lights, and many minor fittings like the targa fittings and the associated rubbers.

In the UK Andrew Blow is a great guy to contact, as is Brian May in Solihull.

Hope you find your car, I found mine and love the big orange beast!
Hello -

Many thanks for your advice & your message which I have only just seen today! Not being the most patient of people means that waiting for the ideal 412 (any 412 in fact!) seems quite a slog. However, no doubt it'll all be worth it in the end!!

I hear what you say about values, hence one of the reasons that, out of choice, i'd rather not wait too long to buy a car. One cannot rush these things though I guess but I'd equally hate to see one slip out of reach as well! I would pay a good price for the right car within the realms of that you mentioned.

I will certainly take your buying advice to heart, being a big block, yes - I can see how an effective cooling system is a must. I read about the lack of availability on some of the parts. I also knew the Targa top is an area prone to problems but hadn't heard too much about this model having a suspect chassis. I guess all cars this age though should be checked accordingly, which certainly makes sense.

One of the selling points of the car to me is also part of the problems I have in that I never actually seen a 412 on the road, let alone driven one! I am drawn not only to the scarcity value but to the Zagato design & the Bristol history.

Forgive me but I noticed you're on the Wirral. I'm over in South Manchester but occasionally do pop over to Thurstaston, as I'm a member of the Sailing Club there.
I'd love 5 minutes of your time some day - to take a look over your car, ask a few questions, get a better perspective - all at your convenience of course. Apologies, that's very presumptive of me I know but please do bear in mind that I'm a little obsessive about these cars - as no doubt you are =-) & the chance to "meet" one would be great

I check the net a couple times a week but If you hear of anything coming up for sale, please could you let me know.

Thanks again for your kindness in contacting me.

Best regards

Robert J Haydock