Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Motor and Gear-Box Removal

Old 12-11-12, 04:24 AM

Question Motor and Gear-Box Removal

The tear-down on the 411 S2 has progressed this week. What remains on the body shell/frame is the motor and gearbox, the front suspension/brakes/front sub-frame/steering assembly, the prop-shaft, the rear axle including suspension and brakes, wiring, fuel and brake lines.

The motor and gearbox removal is the next job. I would like any advice on removing the prop-shaft, disconnecting the motor and gear-box mounts, and maneuvering the attached motor and gear-box out
from the body.

Thanks,

Greg Woog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GARAGE_CAR_NOV2012.jpg (109.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 12-11-12, 06:25 PM
Banned

Default Disassembly of the Bristol

Like any other car, the two mounts on the front of the engine, and the single mount on the transmission is straightforward, as is the propshaft removal. If you plan on separating the body from the frame, the job will be much easier. It appears that you plan on disassembling the entire car anyway. Just a simple engine crane is all you need, and some help in guiding the engine and transmission out in one piece. Some people remove the transmission first, but it is a messy job, and really does not help that much.
Old 12-11-12, 08:26 PM

Probably best getting advice from the helpful people at ACCS or Brabazon. They have done this hundreds of times ! Contrary to Ronald's opinion, I think that it's easier to take the gearbox out first from inside the car.

Do not separate the body and frame ! I don't think Ron has broken down a Bristol before ?. Aluminium is folded around the steel so it's not a good idea to completely dismantle unless severe corrosion is obvious.

Look at the 408 restoration in Scandanavia in the albums on this forum and the blog that goes with it. Some good info
Old 13-11-12, 04:41 PM

Listen to Greg. Do not separate body and chassis, if you not have a lot of spare time and find it fun and interesting. I took out the gearbox into the coupe, with the engine secured with a hoist. Quite easy with seats and interior dismantled. Then its easy to lift out the engine.
Per. 408viking
Old 14-11-12, 06:10 AM

Default Thanks for engine and body advice

Ronald, Greg and 408Viking,

thank you for your advice. There seems to be 2 camps regarding engine removal - with or without the transmission. One more complicated operation versus 2 easier operations. My feeling right now is to remove
both together. Either way, I still have questions regarding the propshaft.
Should the differential end be disconnected first? How does the gearbox end
come off? Does it slide out from the back of the gearbox? Do the universal joints need to be removed? Does the gearbox need to slide forward so that the propshaft can pull forward of the chassis cross member in front of the axle?

408Viking, your pictures are my inspiration for my intended restoration.
My plan is to get quotes from experts on the body work, since I haven't the skills or time as you noted. At this stage, I haven't got a budget either, so I may find that removing the body is not practical. Removing the aluminum is necessary to thoroughly repair and repaint the chassis, so I hope to follow your example.

If you have any information on the front suspension removal(or any other restoration topics), I would appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Greg Woog
Old 25-11-12, 06:54 AM

Default Engine is finally out

The big block has finally come out. At first I thought about removing the engine and transmission together, but then had second thoughts. So Per and Greg, I have taken your advice except that I have removed the engine first rather than the transmission. The transmission is still in place on jack stands, and I will remove it tomorrow.
Thanks,
Greg Woog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ENGINE_OUT_SM.jpg (148.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg ENGINE_ON_HOIST_SM.jpg (144.8 KB, 45 views)