Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Intermittent wipe

Old 18-10-11, 02:58 PM

Default Intermittent wipe

Anyone retro-fitted an intermittent wipe on their 411? I think it would be a very useful upgrade if I am going to use the car regularly...which I am.

Also, my wipers wont park so I have to switch them off EXACTLY at the right time. I guess this is a wiring issue...anyone got a photo of theirs correctly wired up? Must have got them mixed up when doing the woodwork. Hopefully.
Old 18-10-11, 03:23 PM

Default Intermittent Wipe

Hi

My 411 has only ever been serviced by Bristol and (until a recent re-fit ) I too had to switch off the wiper blades at precisely the moment they hit the rest position - a great game to pass away idle motorway time ( if your motor is like mine you may also be treated to a random "intermittent" wipe as well ! )

I can not give you any techical reasons but did not want you to assume that it was a result of any faulty re-wiring on your part. Good luck
Old 19-10-11, 08:32 AM

Default Intermittent wipe

The wipers on my 603 will occasionally self park, I believe the wiring is correct and can only assume that the microswitch on the wiper motor is intermittently faulty. Not east to get at, its next to the glove box.
Old 19-10-11, 11:09 PM

I had an intermittent wiper switch fitted to my 412 by BCL, it is a big improvement however they don't park in the way they do with the original switch. I guess BBR will be able to fit something similar if you are near Bristol
Old 08-11-11, 12:46 PM

Now fixed - I had two wires transposed in the switch. I have posted on my website a diagram of the correct wiring. Wipers now park correctly. Hurrah!

See Home - The Bristol 411 for more info. Latest News November section
Old 08-11-11, 02:12 PM

I had look at your website - useful diagram

You mention about the engine running so hot it will crack the cast iron heads running on LPG and swapping them for ali -- if it's hot enough to crack steel it will warp aluminium.! Never heard of anyone else having a problem with a cracked head using LPG. Why do you think this will happen ?
Old 08-11-11, 02:27 PM

Info on heads came from ACCC when I bought the secondhand tanks...something to do with the cooling on the old heads? TBH, I might just run it anyway on LPG and just change the head if/when it does go.