Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Windscreen Wiper Problem - 411 S3.

Old 24-08-11, 06:44 PM

Default Windscreen Wiper Problem - 411 S3.

Had a lovely drive to the pub this evening...on the way back the drivers side wiper has stopped working - passenger side is fine. Any ideas for a simple fix? Is it a linkage? If so, how do I access it? And I have checked it with the wiper removed and it is not turning. Any help, as ever, greatfully received...
Old 24-08-11, 06:54 PM

If the passenger's side is working fine, then it sounds like the wheel box on the drivers side spindle may be the problem. Wipers sometimes stop working because the teeth on the wheel become worn out. As the wipers only go through less than 180 degrees, the teeth on the 'unused' side of the wheel are likely to be fine. So a simple fix is to loosen the wheel box from the rack, turn the wiper spindle 180 degrees and reasemble. It works unless somebody else has done the same trick before on the wheel box of course!
Old 24-08-11, 09:44 PM

Thank you very much for the very fast response - will try that tomorrow. So to clarify, do I undo the nut by the windscreen and rotate from there or gain access from below? Sorry to seem a bit slow but have not worked on this area of the car before...
Old 25-08-11, 10:24 PM

Hi, I'm currently working on my 405 wipers, the car is undergoing total restoration so a good time to do wipers... I am guessing a bit but the wheelboxes will be similar I think. The wheelbox is held in place with the front nut under the blade end, the wheelbox then splits in half with 2 screws that clamp it over pipes holding the rack and also the rack into engagement with the wheel. The rack itself is probably a coil tightly would over a semi-flexible wire core. As mentioned rotating the wheel 180 degrees will give you some more life but if things have deteriorated to this extent it probably means you also have rack wear and also the other wheelbox will be worn as well. However a rotation will give you operation for a while so that you can plan a full overhaul of the system... Don't forget to seal properly under the nut and associated spacer on the outside, either cut a gasket or use sealant.

When I'm done with my 405 wiper job I'll post an article to the BOC magazine with all the details. Operation of the parking system needs to be understood if you're doing the whole job, not hard but sourcing some of the parts isn't easy...

Regards, Stuart
Old 30-08-11, 12:59 PM

Now fixed - what a nightmare job that was...will post a report in due course on my website and here...thanks for all the advice.
Old 28-05-12, 02:33 PM
zaki

Hmm these wipers are extremely difficult to adjust and replace. Mine just snapped on the motorway... Going to visit a garage, I don't trust my own handy work.