Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

LHD conversion

Old 18-12-11, 05:09 PM

Default LHD conversion

Gents,
have any one of you made a LHD conversion.
What kind of power steering box is in need, I do believe that the steering column can be reused. If I am not in the need of the glove box I also belives that i would be easier.
Are there anyone that can help me in this?
Old 18-12-11, 08:46 PM

Default Rhd>lhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by svikra View Post
Gents,
have any one of you made a LHD conversion.
What kind of power steering box is in need, I do believe that the steering column can be reused. If I am not in the need of the glove box I also belives that i would be easier.
Are there anyone that can help me in this?
I know it can be annoying when someone on a forum does not answer your question directly but give you another suggestion, however...

When I was North American registrar of the club, I found about three LHD cars of each model were made by Bristol Cars and sent to North America (one 404 and one extinct 405DH). They were not always in great condition. Their prices were comparable to RHD. At one point, I realised I was able to buy one of each... 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409 and 410 in LHD... all were available for sale in various states of repair. None were advertised, but when I would speak to the owners to update the registry all named an asking price. I did buy one of the two 405's, mostly to rescue it (it is now in Paris) and the 410 which I bought to enjoy a holiday on the West Coast with my family instead of renting a car. The 410 was later restored by the factory and is in NYC not far from where it was first bought by its American buyer.

Lacking a good reason for owning such a collection, which at the time would have cost me $120,000 for all ten, I passed on the opportunity.

I would suggest you look for such a car (also some in Europe), put the money into restoration of it, and sell your RHD car in England or another RHD country.

Here in New Zealand there is an industry of RHD conversion. They do a good job, but you can expect $35,000 for a commercial job. Prices on Bristols have gone up (or to be more correct, fiat currency purchasing power has dropped), but you certainly could find a LHD car for less. I would start with Jerry Johnson in Tulsa OK who had the LHD Cannonball Race 410 sitting in his paddock last time I spoke with him (admittedly a very long time ago). See Cannonball Baker Sea-To-Shining-Sea Memorial Trophy Dash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for the documentation of his race in the 410.

If you do the conversion, you may want to ask an ex-factory worker like Sid Lovesey first. Glove box matters are easy. The cars are hand made, and the dashboard bits are simple pressed metal and plywood. Your worry is the steering rack and the lack of room in the engine bay. Best to ring an owner of a LHD car and bring your mechanic, digital camera and a tape measure with you.

Good luck
Claude