Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Which Carburettor for a 407 ??

Old 07-06-11, 06:46 AM

Default Which Carburettor for a 407 ??

I am trying to get my 407 MOT'd but have found problems with the Holley carb and cannot obtain the spare part needeed so am about to purchase a new carb.
Gregg said that it is not the correct carb for the car anyway and that I should buy an Edelbrock rather than the Holley street avaenger that was mentioned in previous threads.

Pls advise which carb, authenticity is not high on my priorities but reliability & access to spares are together with ease of fitting.
Old 07-06-11, 09:39 AM

Default 407 Carb, what type

Hi,
My 407 has the std 4 barrel Carter which I understand is identical to the Endlebrock that Greg mentioned.
It is a Carter 4BBL.
I have always found Martin Barns of ACCS very helpful, he carries spares for most fuel delivery parts as well as engines and understands the 313 cu-inch very well.
American Car Care Centre, 57-65 Randell's Road, London, N1 0DH.
0207 278 9786.
All the usual disclaimers, in 12 years of owning my 407, if Brian Marelli at Bristol Cars could not come up with the part I required he always managed to find it.

Hope this is helpful

Nick 407 6028
Old 07-06-11, 09:48 AM

Hello,

actually I couldn't find a Edelbrock that was identical to the original Carter 4bbl carb used on the 313 and 318 Poly V8s. This meant that the 1403, 1404 etc that I bought from Edelbrock (nice carbs, BTW) had different linkages and modification was a bit tricky. Martin can surely help you in sending you a modified Edelbrock but you must ask him.

At the end, finding a Carter 3131S or a 3249 on eBay USA proved quite easy (thanks Jim) and for $150 each (dollars, not pounds) I bought the original carbs 'as new'. Of course you need to buy a renewal kit for the same carbs and have them overhauled ($50+shipping). The car goes quite well now and I didn't have to change the linkages.

Cheers

Stefano

Last edited by pasini s; 07-06-11 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-06-11, 03:02 PM

Default original carb

If you are going to try to get a Carter 3131s (original equipment) as Stefano suggests you can get a refurb kit from ACCS (Matin Baynes) for about £28 including replacement pump piston etc. I'm running my 407 on the original carb and it was really rough running when i first got her last year, but after a thorough clean and with the new pump etc, she seems fine now.
Good luck

Dave H
Old 09-06-11, 12:00 PM

Many tks 4 all the info from you guys but where and what is

ACCS cos I cannot find on Google??

David
Old 09-06-11, 03:26 PM

Default 407 Carb, what type

Please look at my first post, it gave you every bit of information about Martin Barns and the American Car Care Centre. ACCS
Nick