Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

Looking for rotary switch knobs to suit a 411 dash

Old 21-03-11, 07:54 AM

Default Looking for rotary switch knobs to suit a 411 dash

Having installed an air con system on my 411, the original rotary heater controls are now redundant, so I have set about intergrating the air con controls in the dash, instead of using the tacky add-on panel that came with the VintageAir AC system.

I have rotary temperature and mode controls but the original switch knobs from the Bristol do not fit the D shaped shafts on the new switches.

Does anyone know where I can get rotary switch knobs to suit a 411 dash?

the attached pictures show the old control and knob alongside the new switch, plus another view of the knob I want to replace. So I'm looking for something similar that fits the new switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old-heater-knob.jpg (102.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg heater-switch.jpg (329.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 21-03-11, 12:31 PM

A question: is the new shaft bigger or smaller than the old one?
Is it also d- shaped?
Old 21-03-11, 01:11 PM

If you can't find anything suitable, you could possibly modify the original knob to work with the new shaft. Assuming that the new knob has a metal "D" ring embedded in the plastic. You could retrieve the "D" ring and install it in the old knob using epoxy. I've done similar fixes in the past. The issue is how much force is required to turn the new switch. If it requires too much force the modification might fail after a while.
Old 21-03-11, 04:40 PM

That is the reason for my question, about the relative sizes of the shafts. New shaf smaller - remove ring or if no ring, clean inside with a burr, get some 2-component hard filler (I would use Cold cure Acrylic) , put some vaseline on shaft, put knob on shaft, let harden, remove, remove excess, etc etc.
It is easy.
Old 21-03-11, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the responses.

The new switch shaft diameter (D shaped, max 6.35mm) is smaller than the old one and a different shape - the old shaft is hexagon shaped. Unfortunately the new switch shaft is also considerably shorter than the old one.

I don't have any D ring clips, but I don't really think embedding a clip in the old knob would hold for very long, because the mode switch is quite stiff.

My preference would be for metal knobs with a grub screw which could provide a very solid fixing.
Old 21-03-11, 09:34 PM

I have A/C control knobs from a 603 or the plastic Bakelite one for the wipers on an earlier V8 if any use. Or maybe some round chromy ones from a Radiomobile radio !

So I have quite a few knobs and like Janne mentioned , you could even put Vaseline on my knob if you want !!
Old 21-03-11, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG View Post
I have A/C control knobs from a 603 or the plastic Bakelite one for the wipers on an earlier V8 if any use. Or maybe some round chromy ones from a Radiomobile radio !
Chromy ones wouldn't suit, but the other ones you mentioned could if they have a D type fitting. Any chance of a picture?

RS Components appear to have something reasonable. RS | Hardware | Knobs, Levers, Handles and Handwheels | Knobs | Round-Knobs They're not metal, but then nor were the original ones.
Old 21-03-11, 11:45 PM

The wiper one looks a bit like this

GENUINE LUCAS JAGUAR HEATER SWITCH KNOB XK 120 & 140 on eBay (end time 23-Mar-11 17:40:05 GMT)

I will take a picture of the rear tomorrow with some measurements.
Old 21-03-11, 11:52 PM

When I restored my 411 I looked on web companies that supply British Vintage cars. Bristol used parts that are common with the other british cars of the same era.
The square rear light assemblies were usedby Aston Martin (chromed surround) and British Leyland (blacksurround). Bristol used the cheaper black surround.
I found NOS assemblies.
It takes time to find bits like that, but once I found about 6 or seven companies that sell that stuff, it was fairly easy.
Unfortunately the motherboard on my UK laptop got fried, so I lot every piece of info.
Most of those companies are in the mag Classic Car. Some of them I got from the clubs for each make in UK.

Good luck, Kevin!
I will try to see what I find.
Old 22-03-11, 12:33 AM

Thanks for your help with this guys - please don't go to too much trouble.

I think I will order the ones from RS Components (see pic) as it appears they will do the job for the time being. They're also very cheap so I can always replace them later if I find some nice ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RS-knob.jpg (7.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 22-03-11, 12:33 AM

Check out Elma Electronic - Complete housing solutions and components for the electronics manufacturing industry.

Plenty of knobs (without vaseline) with setscrew fixing.

Your shaft is 1/4 inch. Not easy to find in this Metric world!
Old 22-03-11, 12:40 AM

A better oner?

Check out item number (RS stock number) 223-742 on your site
Old 22-03-11, 01:49 AM

Thanks Janne, Elma looks like a really good source!

If I use one with a grub/fixing screw the imperial shaft size shouldn't matter.

The switch is from the USA which is probably why it's an imperial size. it would probably be illegal to do that in the EU
Old 22-03-11, 04:18 AM

Kevin, any possibility of you telling us the source of the Aircon unit, and the installation?
I will need to install one myself.

Your shaft is 6.25mm, but some of the knobs have a 6mm hole. Not even Vaseline will help.....

You can drill it out gently. 0.25mm ic nothing in Plastic. Lots of lubrication (to prevent overheating and discolouration) if you choose an Aluminium knob.

Last edited by Janne; 22-03-11 at 04:26 AM.
Old 22-03-11, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne View Post
Kevin, any possibility of you telling us the source of the Aircon unit, and the installation?
I will need to install one myself.
Vintage Air - Inventors of Performance Air Conditioning - www.vintageair.com they sell generic systems as well as ones to suit specific cars

They also have distributors/resellers in many countries.

Quote:
Your shaft is 6.25mm, but some of the knobs have a 6mm hole.
The shaft is aluminium so it won't take much to remove 0.25 mm from it, or as you say I can drill the hole out if it's a knob with a grub screw.
Old 09-11-13, 06:32 PM

Default Dash knobs

Hi can some let me know if the dash knob fits Bristil cars see photo of the parts I make the knobs and must fit lots of cars?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=1&permPage=1
Regards Ashley Hinton

Last edited by ashley hinton; 09-11-13 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley hinton View Post
Hi can some let me know if the dash knob fits Bristil cars see photo of the parts I make the knobs and must fit lots of cars?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Regards Ashley Hinton
Those are very nice looking knobs Ashley. Are you wanting Bristol owners to post pictures of their own dash knobs to use as patterns? I shall try and take pictures of my 408 knobs in the next couple of days. I believe a couple are of close to identical type to what you posted, and the light switch may be identical.
Old 11-11-13, 10:16 PM

Just the panel light and wiper switch light would be of use to Bristol owners - non of the others.

I wouldn't of thought that it's worth making tooling for the 6 or 8 cylinder of the type you have and the rest (V8 electric window switches and same style other switches ) seem to be covered by other Marques -- although the engraving on the switches to the Bristol style would be useful ! Electric window switches available new are plain...

Last edited by GREG; 11-11-13 at 11:26 PM.