Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

footwell ventilation (help needed)

Old 25-04-10, 11:04 AM

Default footwell ventilation (help needed)

Under the centre of dash, behind the radio in my 411, there is a box through which air is distributed to the eyeball vents via ducts - the same box maybe present on other V8 Bristols as well.

The bottom of that box on my car has always been a bit mangled and today I finally got around to investigating it. Fortunately I found the the bottom of the box is detachable, after removing five screws.

I have attached a couple of photos of the bottom section of the box to this post.

I always thought that someone had opened up the bottom of the box to allow air into the footwells, but having now removed this section I'm not so sure. In fact I suspect someone might have been trying to do the opposite. That said, I don't even know if it is original.

I would dearly like see a photo of what is there on other 411s, or failing that, on other V8 Bristols.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heater-duct.jpg (93.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg heater-duct-inside.jpg (129.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 25-04-10, 08:26 PM

> Kevin,
>
I have attached some images of what is on my car, a box with a door operated by a sliding lever mounted below the radio mounting frame.
Hope this helps.

Greg Woog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freshair_splitter.JPG (53.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg lower_air_box_connected.JPG (240.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg lowerbox_door_opener_small.JPG (55.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg lowerbox_small.JPG (81.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 25-04-10, 08:34 PM

The lower box with hinged door mounts below the splitter box which mounts to the inside of the firewall. It seems that opening the door permits fresh air to bypass the vents.

How is your AC working out?
Old 25-04-10, 10:47 PM

Default Under IP air box restored

Kevin,
here is an image of the restored air box assembly.
Unfortunately it is a very dark image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg underIP_airbox.JPG (125.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 25-04-10, 11:26 PM

Thanks Greg, that's very helpful.

As I suspected someone had butchered mine to close it up, and there's no sign of the lever to operate it. I don't know why someone would do that!

I am therefore going to have to fabricate a new box bottom and find an operating lever.

I'm in the process of making new under dash covers so at least I can see what I need to accommodate where that box is concerned.
Old 25-04-10, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiabristol View Post
How is your AC working out?
My AC is finally working again. When I got the car back after nine years with Jensen Motors Australia it wasn't working, but eventually I worked out that the vacuum operated hot water valve was stuck on (it provided heating as well as cooling). So while there was a small amount of cooling when the car was first started from cold, this disappeared as the engine warmed up, (which it does very quickly).

Also, the vacuum hoses he had used to control the demist vent were clearly not meant for vacuum, because they were collapsible! After replacing the vacuum hoses the vent now works as well.

I have yet to test the air con in our hottest weather, and I have my doubts whether it will cope because it doesn't seem as powerful in cooling mode as when it was first installed.

The guy at Jensen Motors persuaded me to replace the modern compressor with an original Chrysler item (which he just happened to already have like many other parts he sold to me!). I suspect this old Chrysler unit is nowhere near as effective as the modern Denso compressor.

He also changed the engine radiator set up so that the fans are between the radiator and the condenser, so there is nothing forcing air through the condenser other than the movement of the car. This of course would not help with the AC cooling performance.

The bottom line however is that the AC works, providing both cooling and heating through all the original vents.
Old 26-04-10, 12:22 AM

Quote= As I suspected someone had butchered mine to close it up, and there's no sign of the lever to operate it. I don't know why someone would do that!

It is really strange that someone would do that. I would check with Brian May first if he has them. I wouldn't imagine that they are in demand.

My 408 will be on it's way to Australia at the end of summer. I hope that becomes a part of the Bristol scene over there. After another great days driving around Yorkshire today it will be very sad to see her go. Another 10 pound pom !

Tags
411, heater, ventillation