Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

412 / Beaufighter folding roof

Old 19-08-09, 05:04 AM

Default 412 / Beaufighter folding roof

When I bought my Beaufighter it came with only the hard rear roof section. I would like to obtain a folding roof. Can anyone suggest a source?

A long time ago I read somewhere that the roof was sourced from a Lancia, with the steel struts widened by a 'cut and shut' process. I suppose this is consistent with the Zagato connection, along with the Lancia Spyder rear lights, and Lancia headlights (Beaufighter).

James
Old 19-08-09, 07:34 AM

It' not a lancia hood. But almost exactly the same design, as you
say. You'll need a frame from a dead 412(brian may?) and get the
covering made. Tell us how much you are quoted: I need a new cover
soon. Peter
Old 19-08-09, 09:41 PM

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but when getting quotes for a new soft top you need to be very clear about what you are getting in terms of fabric, and whether the hood will be lined.

The fabrics available vary greatly in quality and one of the difficulties with the outer fabric in particular is that it all looks good when it is brand new, but only much later will you discover how resistant it is to fade. It is very difficult for the lay person to identify the really good fabrics compared with cheaper versions that won't last. In other words, there's plenty of opportunity to get ripped off!

When I had a V8 Aston done about 6-7 years ago the best outer fabrics were coming out of Germany and the correct headlining came from the UK. Unfortunately I have since sold the car and have no record of what they were. Cost then was AUD$5k or £2k (now £2.5k). That included a new tonneau cover and replacing the timber pieces in the frame. I know I could have got it done cheaper than this, but I opted to pay a premium to use a well known, reputable trimmer who could show me the different options with regard to the outer fabric and the headlining.

James, given that you won't have an example to work from, I suggest taking some close up photos of a Beaufighter hood so the trimmer knows how it should be finished inside and out, particularly where it meets the body and the windows.
Old 20-08-09, 08:54 PM

The correct fabric for a 412 top is Boyriven. It is readily available. The
rear plastic window is not the basic automotive quality but more like the
plastic used on boats. My replacement is marked Regalite DOT #108.

Peter

Tags
412, beaufighter, roof