Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

V8 Series Windscreens

Old 31-07-13, 08:45 PM

Default V8 Series Windscreens

My 410 is approaching the stage where the windscreen - almost certainly original - is becoming difficult to see through when driving into the sun in the early or late part of the day due to pitting. Are windscreens available and are there any windscreens that are common between the 410 and other V8 Bristols? Any information than anyone can offer will br gratefully accepted.
John Keighley - Australia
Old 31-07-13, 08:55 PM

I had the misfortune to get a stone crack the windscreen on my 411 S5.
My insurance used Autoglass. As the windscreens ( for the 411 at least) are not generic or fitted to some other car, they had a few made. When Autoglass called me, I asked them to specify that the manufacturer incorporates a green "sunscreen" strip at the top.
Check if Autoglass still have any left.
(assuming the 410 uses the same as a 411 S5)

Last edited by Janne; 01-08-13 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-08-13, 11:26 PM

The 410 doesn't use the same screen as the 411 but the rubbers fit , however they are available so no panic ! I'm fairly sure they are only available from ACCS ( they bought the tooling )
Old 03-08-13, 12:21 PM

Are the rubber seals used on Bristols not generic? I recall buying most from other companies than Bristol. I think including the rear and front windshild rubbers.
Old 10-08-13, 02:38 PM

No - but a few companies have had tooling made ACCS,Brabazon,Bristol,BODA
Old 26-10-13, 02:57 AM

I don't think the OP's question really got an answer, so I'll re-ask it, since I find it an interesting and potentially important one: which V8 cars shared the same windscreens? Looking at photos of 407 through 410 models, to all appearances the windscreens seem identical to me, and I know that Pilkington Classics can still make the 410 screen. Does anyone have the gen on this?
Old 27-10-13, 07:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Keighley View Post
My 410 is approaching the stage where the windscreen - almost certainly original - is becoming difficult to see through when driving into the sun in the early or late part of the day due to pitting. Are windscreens available and are there any windscreens that are common between the 410 and other V8 Bristols? Any information than anyone can offer will br gratefully accepted.
John Keighley - Australia
If you look in the Bristol Type 408 MK II, 409 and 410 Car Illustrated Spares Handbook, you will see only one listing for for Windscreen Glass, Part number 409-1-66120. This suggests that it is the same for all three cars, and the 409 number generally means that is when the part came on stream. In this case, this is confusing, since the 408 Mk-II is expected to have the same part.

However, relying on a book when buying a windscreen is unwise. There are several experts in the UK, as mentioned by other replies to this post, and you would be well advised to ring them and just ask.

Question 1: Which models of Bristol shared the same windscreen with the 410? When you get this answer publish it here with sufficient keywords that the answer can be found years later (such as windscreen compatibility the same windscreen windshield fits Bristol Car models 408 409 410).
Question 2: Do you have one in stock?
Question 3: How much to ship to Australia?
Question 4: Do you have the fitting rubber in stock? If not, who has it?
Question 5: If I buy the windscreen from you, can you provide installation instructions so the apes at the glass place here don't break it?

After you get all five questioned answered, ring Pilkinton.
Old 28-10-13, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
If you look in the Bristol Type 408 MK II, 409 and 410 Car Illustrated Spares Handbook, you will see only one listing for for Windscreen Glass, Part number 409-1-66120. This suggests that it is the same for all three cars, and the 409 number generally means that is when the part came on stream. In this case, this is confusing, since the 408 Mk-II is expected to have the same part.
I feel (really quite almost completely) sure that 408, 409 and 410 windscreens must be the same. IMHO Bristol were always very conservative when it came to changing body panels. (Of course I won't wager my money on this until it's proven). But I erred above when I said Pilkington Classics list a 410, it`s actually the 411 they list. But, dammit, the 411`s look the same around the centre coachwork too!

Quote:
....There are several experts in the UK, as mentioned by other replies to this post, and you would be well advised to ring them and just ask.
They seem to keep quiet though. Helps make a living for some of them, and I`m not one to criticise that.
Old 03-11-13, 12:04 AM

Ask Pilkington how long they have made the 411 screen. You will be told 7 or 8 years.
And they used a 411s5 screen to get the shape etc.