Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

electric window stuck 412

Old 29-08-22, 05:35 PM

Default electric window stuck 412

On my '87 Beaufighter the driver side electric window has recently stopped working. It's fortunately in the up position. but I do like driving with my arm out the window.
I tested the switch which had live coming to it, but it got quite hot when pressed for the window to operate.
I thought it must be a problem with the motor or just jammed up in runners, so set about trying to take off the door card.
I've loosened the main part. but there's a padded strip along the top next to the window which doesn't want to budge and is joined to main lower part.
I don't want to force anything and was wondering how it is attached to door frame, or do the two parts seperate?

Any help appreciated
Old 01-09-22, 05:13 AM

Oliver I have a series 1 412 and have had the door trims off many times. Presuming your later car is the same as mine you simply remove the arm rest and the internal door handle and with a suitable flat bladed tool you work your way from the bottom of the card pulling out the hidden clips as you go. With all the clips released you pull down on the card pulling it away from the trim at the top of the door, a few jiggles and it should slip out.

Hope that helps
Old 02-09-22, 04:57 PM

Thanks for reply,
On mine, the armrest seems attached to door card but has an Allen key bolt fixing door card to frame and door handle I think remains in situ.
Anyway I'll give another attempt, maybe just a firm tug downwards will separate the 2 parts.
I was being cautious not to mess anything up.
Old 03-09-22, 03:42 AM

Yes in rethinking my comments I think you are correct,the armrest attaches to the door card but the top pad on mine stays behind. Best of luck.
Old 22-11-22, 09:18 PM

I finally got around to removing door card to get at window motor. It just took a firm yank and it came away from top section.
The motor shorts out. When I opened it up it looks and smells very burnt out.
I'm not sure if it's repairable - one of the magnets has dropped off the body.
Anyway, I'm after a replacement. I was wondering what other cars used the same motor or suggestions of good place to find a reconditioned one.

Thanks
Old 22-11-22, 09:30 PM

Following on from last post - the motors AC-Delco 9970276
Old 23-11-22, 03:58 AM

Well Done

Have You Tracked Down A Supply Of Motors And If So Who And Where And How Much

Is Yours A Series 1 Or A Later Car ?
Old 23-11-22, 10:45 AM

Car's a series 3. I thought knowing what other cars it was fitted to gives me more options to phone around. Most people wouldn't have any idea about Bristols.
Old 23-11-22, 11:46 AM

I have a used AC Delco 997027, bought as a working spare and never needed - what does a 997026 look like?
Old 23-11-22, 08:15 PM

I've attached a couple of photos of motor - dissembled with loose magnet.
I was thinking maybe your one with numbers so close is passenger side whereas mines driver side.window motor.jpg

window2.jpg
Old 23-11-22, 08:22 PM

Yes, mine’s handed the other way, just dug it out.
Old 23-11-22, 10:11 PM

Thanks for looking.
I'm hoping this must be a motor used on plenty of other cars in '70's, '80's.
Old 24-11-22, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Thanks for looking.
I'm hoping this must be a motor used on plenty of other cars in '70's, '80's.
They’re the same as early Series 3 XJ6/12s, from memory.
Old 24-11-22, 01:56 PM

Perhaps 40 years ago I used a Loctite structural adhesive to fix a detached magnet problem on a DC motor of similar size doing much faster running and more demanding duties.

To my certain knowledge it lasted over five years before the offending object passed out of my ken.

As I recall it the windings on that one didn't look terribly healthy. I'm pretty sure that the person requesting the repair understood it was most likely a temporary measure that couldn't be expected to last all that long. As ever "Nowt so permanent as a temporary job."

So if totally stuck repair is possible.

Clive
Old 09-12-22, 09:49 PM

I managed to get hold of correct window motor. Turns out there same as Series 2 & 3 jag + XJS 'till 1987, also Triumph Stag '70- '73.
I haven't got around to fitting yet - the door frame at bottom needs some sorting out for rust first.
Thanks for all your replies,
Oliver
Old 11-03-23, 03:03 PM

Hello,
I've finally got around to refitting window motor. It worked fine until I put door card back on. Now I've got no power coming to switches.
I think I've blown a fuse. The ends of the wires when pushing about must have touched together or earthed on door. I should have disconnected battery but....
Anyway, I've got a wiring diagram for window lift switches and it shows an in-line fuse. I've been searching the car for any other fuses other than the main 50amp ones in battery compartment (which are all ok), but so far haven't found any.
Does someone know if there's a fuse specific to window motors?

Thanks
Old 01-04-23, 02:54 PM

Hello,
I found the fuse, which had blown, now window back to working as usual. Someone in the past had the bright idea to spray battery compartment black, covering most of the wiring. this makes it hard to see which wire goes where.