Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum  

Go Back   Bristol Cars - Owners and Enthusiasts Forum > Bristol Forums > 8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars

8 & 10 cyl Bristol cars Type 407 onwards - restoration, repair, maintenance etc

408 bumpers and front valance

Old 09-05-22, 07:35 AM

Default 408 bumpers and front valance

Hi. I've started working on a 408 and am trying to work out if there should be some sort of valance visible below the front bumper. I've included a pic with the bumper removed.

Also, front and back (badly dented) bumpers are in a very poor state - in fact the front must have been a back bumper at some point as it's got towbar holes drilled in it and it's been cut, shut and had bits welded in etc. Were the bumpers proprietary Bristol or were they from another car? Does anyone have any ideas on replacement availabilty? The bumper on the front seems identical to the back bumper but inverted!
Hope someone can help
Thanks
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220504_132410295.jpg (288.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-05-22, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterly View Post
Hi. I've started working on a 408 and am trying to work out if there should be some sort of valance visible below the front bumper. I've included a pic with the bumper removed.

Also, front and back (badly dented) bumpers are in a very poor state - in fact the front must have been a back bumper at some point as it's got towbar holes drilled in it and it's been cut, shut and had bits welded in etc. Were the bumpers proprietary Bristol or were they from another car? Does anyone have any ideas on replacement availabilty? The bumper on the front seems identical to the back bumper but inverted!
Hope someone can help
Thanks
Mark
Mark, Mine has no connecting piece between the two wings below the radiator opening. What it does have is a flat undertray. I am attaching a pic.

http://www.bristolcars.info/forums/a..._135655-1-.jpg

I had been wondering if this tray was factory fitted and recent postings here, have convinced me it was (see thread 408: A lot of heat coming through the firewall.).
My first post there also has a pic of another 408 and you can see it also has the gap below the radiator opening (but no tray). You can also just make out the tray fitted in this factory photo:

https://pin.it/1o64OZK

The tray attaches to the 4 mounting points on that cross bar below the radiator grille.

As to bumpers: I hadn't noticed but a quick look just now makes me think they may well be the same front and back but in my case, they are the same way up.

Now a question for you: what sizes of wheels and tyres are on your Bristol? They look wider than the factory ones. I've been mulling wider wheels and tyres for mine but, with no power steering, I am hesitant in case it makes steering at low speeds even heavier.

David
Old 09-05-22, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the reply David. Does the tray attach at the back edge too or is it fixed at the front only?

The wheels and tyres aren't standard and are indeed wider. I like them but it's not my car - the owner may want to change them back, I don't know. I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm with the car and let you know the sizes.

Attached is a side view of the car.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220406_100744264.jpg (294.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 09-05-22, 07:46 PM

Mark, where is that car now? I am pretty sure it was for sale on ebay here in the US last summer!

The undertray rear edge is screwed into the front of the crossmember.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210722-105138_eBay_resize_46.jpg (662.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by dwomby; 09-05-22 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-05-22, 12:10 PM

Yes, my friend in the US bought it and sent it over here to the UK.

As far as I can tell the wheels are either 7 or 7.5" between rims. Tyres are 215/55.

Thanks for the info on the tray.

Mark
Old 10-05-22, 12:15 PM

Thanks but what diameter are the wheels or tyres 215/55R???

the tray is a very simple sheet with two or threes slight parallel bends in it crossways and slight tilts at the edges.

David

Last edited by dwomby; 10-05-22 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-05-22, 12:48 PM

Sorry, they're 16".